Power Outage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
Just curious what I would need to do should the power go out during brewing on an electric stovetop.

Sadly the weather is going south pretty quickly tonight and my power might just go out. Would I want to cover the wort on my stove and wait for power to return? What about the time remaining on my boil? Would I want to remove the hops?

Fingers crossed I don't have to worry about any of that haha

Too late for this batch, but in the future I'd say it depends on where you are in the process.

If you are more than half way through the boil, cover it and make the flavor and aroma adds per schedule. The bitterness will be a bit low, but flavor and aroma oil extraction will be about right. Looks like you lean towards lower IBU beers anyway.

Less than half way, just cover it. If the power doesn't come back in an hour or so, cool it and finish when the power comes back.

A propane burner =)

Just north of you here in Michigan. I don't know about you but I am SO SICK OF THE STORMS. We lost power for about 10 hours during the last batch of storms. Luckily we have a generator, but not 220/440 auxiliary panel. Even with that, unless you have a beefy generator there's no way you could run the stove off it.

Thankfully everything went fine. I'm sure if I keep going with my brewing obsession it won't be long at all until I'm all grain and brewing outdoors with propane.

Back