Power cord questions (GFCI, etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrhamm

Reaction score
I have some noob questions about the Kal clone main power cord. The ebook recommends a 4 prong dryer cable but I'm having a hard time finding an inline GFCI that is 10/4. I have plenty of leftover 10/3 cable from my heater cords too and would like to use it to make a 25-ft long main cord (unless this would cause a serious drop in voltage?). If I can get a standalone inline GFCI and not have to cut it up, that would be great. Would it be possible to run my 10/3 cord from the control panel (L14-30R plug & receptacle) to a NEMA L6-30 plug, which could plug into one of these:

http://www.anderson-bolds.com/Merch...D&Product_Code=44720-012&Category_Code=TRC_SS

And then have that plug into a shorter, 4 (or 3) prong dryer cord with a L6-30 receptacle on the other end?

Jeff, That is a 50A panel, but your idea is very solid.

There may be room inside for a surface mounted twist-loc connector.

Worst case would be a stubby pigtail with a connector.

'da Kid

Yep, but still reasonable to wire for 30a, and it is large enough to mount NEMA connectors. Many people use it with 10/4, which makes the spa panel as wired really only good for 30a. It might be prudent to label it as "30a only," lol.

Yep, plenty of room!

IMG_3758.jpg

So, I read somewhere about people using 60A spa panel with gfci then putting a 50A breaker in their main panel. That way the spa panel is future proof. Since 10/4 wire is maxed out at 30A, someone was suggesting to use 6/4 SOOW wire. Is that the recommended wire for a 240V 60A panel? If so does anyone have a website that they bought some from? I found some here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370744748454 but it seems $$ I did find some cheaper but I cant remember where.

Back