Pouring the wert into the fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
Using my racking cane I siphoned most of my pale ale into the primary fermenter but I dumped the last bit in. This is ok isn't it? I thought that If there's a time to aereate it's at this point.

I do the same thing but my siphoning is to help aerate the wort with a tube with holes. Something that I found on this forum, and has worked rather well. But the stuff left in the kettle I just dump into the fermenter. So like said above, it's not a problem.

I pour it from pot to bucket and "try" to keep what trub there is in the pot.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you cool the wort. For me it's old school without a wort chiller so I stir up a lot of sediment while getting the temp down. Doesn't bother me if a little or a bunch makes it's way to the primary. If not going to a secondary cold crashing should keep the crud out of the final stage before bottling.

I do the same thing but my siphoning is to help aerate the wort with a tube with holes. Something that I found on this forum, and has worked rather well. But the stuff left in the kettle I just dump into the fermenter. So like said above, it's not a problem.

Holey tube? Sounds good. Think I will do a search on this. Or maybe I will post a new thread so I don't have to do any work. ;)

I generally siphon just so I don't have to risk dumping large quantities of wort all over when I slip and drop my brewpot. I generally try to leave trub in the pot, but most of the time that means leaving behind too much of the good stuff, so I just pour the last of the contents in and let 'em settle out in the fermentor.

I lay a double mesh strainer across the top of the bucket and simply pour my cooled wort through the strainer. The wort gets nicely aereated and it takes all but 30 seconds to complete. Hops and big trub chunks get strained out. If it is a hoppy brew I might stop half way through and empty the strainer. I save siphoning for final transfer to the keg.

If I had the strength to lift and pour my 15 gallon boil pot into the fermenters I'd take every last drop, trub and all. Theres wort in trub to be fermented, no reason to waste. It all settles out during fermentation. :mug:

Hops and big trub chunks get strained out. If it is a hoppy brew I might stop half way through and empty the strainer.

Do you do this with whole leaf or pellets? I tried straining in the past and found that pellet hops clogged the strainer too quickly for it to be worthwhile unless the strainer was too coarse to strain them.

Holey tube? Sounds good. Think I will do a search on this. Or maybe I will post a new thread so I don't have to do any work. ;)

So I can give you the nuts and bolts of it. Off of the end of your siphon, attach a smaller tube with small holes in it about 5 holes maybe?. As the wort flows past it will have little bubbles come into the stream. This will in turn help aerate the wort. I wish I could post the thread for you but I'm only on my phone for the next week .

beerman0001 said:
All is good. If you where going to put it all in the fermenter why did you waster the time siphoning it?

I planned on siphoning the whole thing but toward the end I thought my tube would get clogged.

I just dump the whole thing in unless I'm using a bunch of whole leaf hops (which is rare for me, but in that case I strain it). The way I see it, you're going to take some volume hit for that trub, but whether leaving it in the kettle en route to fermenter, or leaving it with the yeast cake en route to bottling bucket/keg it's just a matter of preference.

I've seen plenty of debate on whether it's helpful or harmful to have all that trub in the fermenter, with good arguments on either side, but nothing conclusive saying one is better than the other.

Whole leaf. If the strainer fills I just press out the goodness, dump em and keep on going.

Thanks for the info, TrubDog. I was hoping that maybe you had a secret for straining out the pellet hops gunk. Maybe I'll have to convert over to whole hops.

I've started pouring through a 5-gallon paint strainer bag. it got a bunch of hop trub out before primary, should lead to an easier bottling day.

I've started cooking pellets in a strainer bag, and to make sure also pouring the wort through a double strainer bag. And after bottling from the primary there was only yeast in the trub.

I dump the whole nasty thing in there. It settles out during fermentation and then when I cold crash it it's all at the bottom anyway.

I use grain & hop sacks for whole leaf & pellet hops in the boil or dry hop. I pour chilled wort & top off through a fine mesh strainer perched on top of my FV. Pour in a circular motion that makes it look like rain coming out the bottom of the strainer. Get a few inches of foam this way. Then stir briskly for 5 minutes to mix water & wort well. Gives more accurate hydrometer readings.

I was hoping that maybe you had a secret for straining out the pellet hops gunk.

There is. Bag your kettle hops, then Whirlpool, then carefully siphon from the kettle with a nylon mesh bag wrapped around the actual auto-siphon into a bucket with another nylon mesh bag wrapped around the opening.

After siphoning, shake well in two half-filled carboys or transfer back & forth between buckets to aerate... or pump in 02 for the bigger beers or for very large volumes of beer that you can't feasibly shake.

There is. Bag your kettle hops, then Whirlpool, then carefully siphon from the kettle with a nylon mesh bag wrapped around the actual auto-siphon into a bucket with another nylon mesh bag wrapped around the opening.

I tried a bag once and found it didn't make much difference, as enough particles found their way out that it seemed a little pointless. Might give it another go with a different type of bag.

Whirlpooling has done essentially no good for me the couple times I tried it. It seems to be as good or better just to let the trub settle out rather than disturbing it. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what...

Home Depot sells 5 gallon nylon mesh paint strainer bags in sets of two. Those work well. 95% or more of your hop matter should be contained within the bag after the boil.

Whirlpooling the right way should leave you with the majority of your trub in the center-bottom of the kettle. Try not to disturb it. Siphon carefully from the edge of the kettle, and the middle of the wort, with a bagged auto-siphon. Other tips just involve common sense. Siphoning directly after you pull out your wort chiller obviously disturbs the trub.

Yeah, that's how whirlpooling is supposed to work. In my case, I just end up with less-compacted trub across the entire bottom than if I just let it sit after quietly removing the IC.

Back