Pouring a Wheat: To Rouse or Not To Rouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
In reading the style guide for German wheats, it states "A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking)".

The honey weizen I just opened had a noticeable amount of yeast left on the bottom of the bottle which required a swish of water to dislodge after the bottle had been emptied.

1. Is this typical?
2. Should the bottle be 'rolled' or otherwise moved about to loosen this yeast?

The only other wheat I made did not have this amount of yeast left over. And for the record, this beer was in primary for 3 weeks (don't ask), and then racked to secondary for 2 before being bottled for the last 3.

This was a 5-gal extract kit.

Thanks,
NHAnimator

Up to you. Itll have a different flavor. Try it.
What I do is leave a 1/5 of the beer in the bottle, and spin it between your hands as if you were making a fire with a stick. (or spin it up into the air) - this will not only loosen up the yeast but make a creamy head.

Watch the beer change colors when pouring it in.

Which yeast train was used?

Sounds like you did an american style wheat, in which yeast would not traditionally be roused.

A wise man once told me... Take two Hefe's, on one swirl and pour yeast on the other don't pour the yeast, see what you prefer. Drink that one.

A wise man once told me... Take two Hefe's, on one swirl and pour yeast on the other don't pour the yeast, see what you prefer. Drink that one.

Drink both. :mug:

If it is a German Hefe, I rouse the yeast. mmmmmm....yeast

The only problem is as Homebrewers we don't filter at all. So that sludge at the bottom might also contain hop material, cold break, etc. I choose not to swirl, if its a true hefe, the wheat will leave it plenty cloudy.

Deuce said:
The only problem is as Homebrewers we don't filter at all. So that sludge at the bottom might also contain hop material, cold break, etc. I choose not to swirl, if its a true hefe, the wheat will leave it plenty cloudy.

Most of that should settle to the bottom of the fermenter, if careful at bottling it should not make it into the final product.

Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely try pouring most of the beer in a glass, trying it, then swirling and topping off to see the visible and tasting note differences.

I think I'm pretty good in it not being anything adverse like hops. This went through primary and secondary and I was careful not to rack too much off the bottom. I usually get a small amount of sediment in the bottles, but this was different it that it really settled more solid like a cake.

Thanks again,
NHAnimator

The only problem is as Homebrewers we don't filter at all. So that sludge at the bottom might also contain hop material

I strain the wort with a strainer when pouring from my kettle into my fermenter. It does an amazing job keeping out all the hop sludge and other miscellaneous additions. And as said, a lot of that settles to the bottom anyway.

I always swirl the last bit with a hefeweizen and also do it for most American wheats too. There are other wheat based beers that you shouldn't do it with - certain types of belgians for example. But I've found personally that the flavor is better when you swirl and add the yeast. Definitely try a sip or two without swirling it, then swirl the bottle and add and taste again. Honestly, I think there's a good reason everyone in Germany does it :)

Rev.

German hefeweizen should be swirled. For commercial brews, the rule is 2/3 poured then the remainder swirled and dumped on top. Personally on commercial brews, like Paulaner, I'll pour to the bottom of the label, swirl, then dump on top.

Yeah 1/3 still in the bottle is too much IMO cause then you get this ridiculous head. I for one do not like a large head - called "Blume" by the Germans. So I pour down to only about 1/4" or so then swirl and pour. When in Germany and getting a bottle of hefeweizen I always say, "Ich möchte mir das Bier selber einschenken bitte!" - I would like to pour the beer myself please.

Rev.

Back