pound of this, pound of that

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
So last night i pulled the trigger and ordered a lbs of EKG and a lbs of galena and now i don't know what to brew. I went with those because i've used them with my chiswick bitters clone and i know i'll make this again in the future.

Anyway, i'm looking for some suggestions as to what else i can make with this combination, or something similar.

I'm a fan of english ales, but haven't really been exposed to many besides ESBs and such.

thanks

You can pretty much run through every English style with those two hops! Galena for bittering, EKG for flavor and aroma. Mild, NEBA, SEBA, Bitter, etc.

You could brew a whole family of bitters with just Maris Otter and crystal, adjusting your bitterness and grainbill poundage to fit the style. Ordinary Bitter --->Best Bitter ---> ESB.

Mild makes my heart go pitter-pat.

cool, thanks. I went with this combo because i figured i could brew all the bitters i could stand. I'll admit my ignorance and tell you i don't really know much about mild or most of the others you mentioned.

I'll give a look at the style guidelines, but any insight into why they make your heart race would be appreciated, as well.

I really threw this question out there because i wanted to see what other kinds of beer i could make that i might not have been exposed to before

Mild is just a supremely quaffable and flavorful session pint; mine comes in around 3.5% ABV.

Malty sweetness with some caramel tones with a dry finish from darker grains. Yummy.

You can do cream ales with the EKG. I think i used it in a stout before too. Lots of options with EKG

If I could have but a single hop, it would be EKG. Srsly.

i got on a fuggles kick after a recipe called for EKG but my lhbs didn't have any so they suggested Fuggles. Well, of course i ended up with an odd amount leftover and then needed another full oz to make another recipe etc etc.

Well, i recently used EKG and i gotta say, i think i like it a lot. Hence the full pound order.

There does seem to be a lot of options with EKG

EKG and Fuggle together work amazingly well. The earthiness of the Fuggle and the floral character of the EKG. Spectacular.

you linked to your mild recipe and i assume you like it a lot since it alters your heart rate. What are some of your other favorites and what hops do you like to use or buy in bulk?

you linked to your mild recipe and i assume you like it a lot since it alters your heart rate. What are some of your other favorites and what hops do you like to use or buy in bulk?

I brew mostly English and Scottish ales, so I always have Fuggles, Goldings and Willamette on hand. Galena is great as a clean high-alpha bittering hop. I also like Challenger for bittering, and I've used it for flavor/aroma in my English IPA.

Any good scottish ales you'd recommend? I am still trying to come up with something to brew. Part of me wants to go light for summer, but i haven't found any inspiration there, plus i've got some SWMBO Slayer in primary that i haven't felt like tasting yet.

I think i'll give your mild a try when i finally drink all of my nut brown (since i think they are very similar in style).

Back