Potential New Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westo2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked this up last year off of CL, and stashed it away to await a future project.

Planned use as a mash tun - I finally picked away at it today.

It is a double walled stainless steel drink cooler of some sort. Manufacturer plate identifies the Allen Filer Company, Toledo, OH - but I'm not able to find any information on this particular unit. No model number of any sort on it. The double walled insulated chamber occupies the top 2/3rd of the unit and is about 10-13 gallons (I haven't measured yet)- the bottom 1/3 (where the vents are) simply contains a spacer to support the weight of the chamber. According to the guy I bought it from, it would keep ice chilled for days on end.

It originally had a lightweight valve on the bottom - the guy I got it from said that he got it from a friend in the soft drink industry and claims it was designed to dispense soda or juice. The outlet appears to be soldered to the bottom floor of the vessel - underneath is a 3/8" copper tube that turns 90 deg and connects to the valve on the front face. The end of the copper tube was threaded - I put a 3/8"-1/2" adapter and threaded an extra ball valve that I had.

Gave it a good oxyclean bath and flushed the outlet well. Filled it with water and confirmed no leaks. Going to fill it to the brim with hot water and oxy and let it soak - mostly to see how well it holds temperature.

My only concern is the status of the solder - any advice on how to determine if it is sanitary?

Anyone seen one of these before? The wine cork in the images simply is there for scale.

If it works, I'd like to eventually build it into a HERMS or RIMS system.

20140427_212600.jpg

20140427_212749.jpg

20140427_212715.jpg

20140427_212639.jpg

20140427_212650.jpg

That looks like it would make a good MLT.
Its big enough so you could do 10 gallon batches easily.
Now to find a false bottom that it will fit in it.

At the moment I batch sparge - so I'm planning to put together a manifold for it.

Hoping to give it a trial run after I get back from a work trip.

Back