Potential Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I made a 6 gallon batch of Oktoberfest a few months ago and just bottled last Thursday (15th).
I know fermentation was complete and I didn't add any yeast at bottling. I had a packet of dextrose from brewhouse kit I did about 8 months ago and I mixed that with a cup of boiled and cooled water and racked from secondary onto the dextrose water.

Last night I grabbed the last bottle that I filled (half full, hobgoblin bottles) and cracked the top to try it out. HUGE bang and cap went flying, fully carbed up and tasting great.

Im just boarding my flight to be away from home for 3 weeks. The packet of dextrose was meant for a 6 gallon batch. I ended up with 5.5 gallons into bottles. Should I worry about bottle bombs or will it just be a little over carbonated? I store my bottles in milk crates, put the whole batch into a big Rubbermaid tote and covered with a couple heavy blankets just in case.

Back