Potential alcohol from fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I made a RIS (1094 to 1018, with 1272) and I plan on adding 3 cans of Oregan Raspberry Puree to secondary; it should total ~2.8 lbs added. I saw that the puree's are at 12 Brix (~1.048) and am wondering what, or if, the effect on the alcohol will be in the final product. When I plugged the addition of 2.8lbs of 1.048 potential "sugar" into BeerSmith the anticpated OG went from 1094 to 1118, a difference of 24 points. Since it is simple sugar, I would anticipate that the 24 points would completely ferment out yielding 3.1% alcohol. Would this be added to my current 10% (making 13%) or is it just kind of null-and-void at this point?

Actually, it would drop your theoretical original gravity (and thus alcohol) by a little bit. Don't forget that, with the fruit's sugar, you are adding the fruit's water. You can figure out your new hypothetical gravity by proportionally combining the fruit puree and the wort, but it shouldn't be terribly much more than a few points below your OG.

Back