potassium sorbate... yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadeus

Reaction score
I am brand new to brewing meads. I have three on the shelf, one has been racked and is in secondary, the other two are newer and still fermenting. I have used someone else's recipes, but I am considering controlling the abv's where they take a more natural approach. I am afraid to use potassium sorbate though because I have heard conflicting data on if or how it effects flavor. So, hoping some of you who have used it can shed some light on it and dispel some of the rumors. thank-you!

I've used it lots in winemaking, but haven't made a mead at all yet.
In winemaking, unless you use more than the instructions say, you won't notice a flavor. Using to much can create a Geranium your smell or flavor.

Remember potassium sorbate does not stop an active fermentation. It can prevent a new fermentation from starting (like you ferment dry then want to back sweeten), but won't let you stop a fermentation in progress.

As others have said, tiny amounts won't impact the flavor of your mead one iota. In fact, I add a few grains of the stuff as a preservative when I'm making syrups for my home bar. Orgeat, cinnamon and simple syrups have a much longer shelf life if you don't have to worry about stray yeasts starting fermentation. With honey syrup, it's absolutely essential, as honey naturally has yeasts suspended in it and adding water will activate them.

Back