Potassium Sorbate... Less than 0.1%?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
I have 4 gallons of a fermenting beer going right now. I'd like to top it off with a gallon of cider to make 5 gallons of apple flavored ale. The only cider I can find has "less than 0.1% potassium sorbate for freshness. One gallon of that in 4 gallons of beer.... Do you guys think that is enough to inhibit further fermentation?

Maybe. Sorry I don't have a better answer- .1% sorbate is kind of a lot, even though it seems like a very small amount.

The thing to consider is that if the fermentation is ripping along pretty good, then the yeast don't really have to reproduce to finish fermentation so you may be ok.

I've never had any luck at all stopping an active fermentation with sorbate, even intentionally, but if I say "it'll be fine!" that might be the first time. :drunk:

So the pot. sorbate only stops the yeast from reproducing, not from eating and converting? That might be fine then... primary is about 90% done right now.

So the pot. sorbate only stops the yeast from reproducing, not from eating and converting? That might be fine then... primary is about 90% done right now.

Right. Potassium sorbate works as a preservative and stabilizer by inhibiting yeast reproduction. If you've already got trillions of yeast, they probably aren't reproducing anyway by the time fermentation is winding down, and I would guess you would see very little impact.

Many cider and wine makers talk about crashing at a certain SG to retain sweetness in the finished product. In my experience that is almost impossible to do with sorbate alone- stopping an active fermentation is like stopping a freight train- although one guy on the forum claims to do it routinely. I'd guess that the yeast is probably already at or near its ABV tolerance if it does work, but that's just my guess.

Still, if the yeast are unhealthy and a bit stressed, it would be possible for the sorbate in the juice to slow or stop fermentation, at least n theory.

What you could try is incrementally adding the juice. Add a quart and if it doesn't stop fermentation by the next day, add the next quart. That's probably over cautious but it would be a surer way to keep fermentation going.

What you could try is incrementally adding the juice. Add a quart and if it doesn't stop fermentation by the next day, add the next quart. That's probably over cautious but it would be a surer way to keep fermentation going.

I was going to do that anyway, so as not to stress the yeast with adding something different/acidic... Thanks!

Poured in a quart.... will ceck in a few hours to see if there's any action.

Yoop was a little unsure.... anyone else have any thougts?

Was definite action. Added the other quart before bed. Fermenting this morning so I'll add the other two quarts through the day.

Back