Potassium Sorbate & Brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcHokie

Reaction score
This might be a question better suited for the Lambic forum, but...

I have some fruit I was planning on adding to a Brett beer, but just noticed it has potassium sorbate & sulfur dioxide as preservatives.

I understand that potassium sorbate, in conjuction with campden or potassium sulfite, will kill most sacch strains, but what about Brett?

the sorbate will take care of everything, even brett

The thing about sorbate though, is that it wont stop an active fermentation, so you could add it, however, everyone thats ever done this (quite a few with ciders) have reported terrible off flavors

I would get some different fruit, and not risk ruining the beer. BTW what kind of fruit is it? and whats the beer?

the sorbate will take care of everything, even brett

The thing about sorbate though, is that it wont stop an active fermentation, so you could add it, however, everyone thats ever done this (quite a few with ciders) have reported terrible off flavors

I would get some different fruit, and not risk ruining the beer. BTW what kind of fruit is it? and whats the beer?

thanks ryane, that is kind of what I thought after reading through some of the threads of folks looking to back-sweeten their ciders.

The beer is a dark saison that had local honey, figs & dates that got t-58 & brett B and I'd planned on racking onto some figs and a bit of Brett L for aging. I'd reserved some of the original figs, but 'someone' used them for cookies and now the only ones I can find are dried or preserved.

Back