Potassium Sorbate & Backsweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travel_mon

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am getting ready to add some potassium sorbate to a melonmel that's dried out. My question is, do I add the potassium sorbate and give it a few days or so before backsweeting with honey? or can I do this all at once?

One other question is the method for backsweeting. What is the best way to get the honey that'll I'll be adding to blend in with the current must?

Thanks in advance.
Travel_mon

AZ_IPA,

thanks for the heads up, that's a great thread on how to mix the PS with the must and I do appreciate you sharing it.

I'm still curious though, after I add the PS, do I wait a few days or can I go ahead and immediately add the honey that I want to backsweeten?

Secondly, what is the best method for stirring in straight honey into a must/mead that one wants to backsweeten?

As always, I appreciate all feedback.

Cheers.

AZ_IPA,

thanks for the heads up, that's a great thread on how to mix the PS with the must and I do appreciate you sharing it.

I'm still curious though, after I add the PS, do I wait a few days or can I go ahead and immediately add the honey that I want to backsweeten?

Secondly, what is the best method for stirring in straight honey into a must/mead that one wants to backsweeten?

As always, I appreciate all feedback.

Cheers.

Wait a few days, to ensure fermentation will not restart when you add the sweetener.

I apologize, but I'm still not understanding.

1. Add the potassium sorbate (i'll use one of the methods mentioned from a previous thread above)
2. I'll wait a few days to see if any activity resumes in the must, if not. I'll go to step 3.
3. Add honey back into must to backsweeten.
4. Allow mead to age for a month or two before bottling.

Now when I do step three, what are some of the best tried and true methods for adding honey back into a mead? Obvisouly, I want the new honey to blend with the current must and I don't really want to add any additional water.

Thanks again I am appreciative.

Respectfully,
Travel Mon

#3. you can pull some of the mead out and heat up a little to help dissolve the honey, and then add back.

#2. you actually won't see any signs of fermentation until you do #3. If you mead has consumed all of the sugars, the yeasts are just sitting there waiting for more - so when you add the PS, you won't actually see anything. That's why Yooper recommended waiting a couple days after you add the sweetner.

Got it!

I should add the honey first, wait a day or so to see if any activity happens, then add the PS if I see activity.

Thanks everyone!!

Also, always add Potassium Metabisulfite shortly before the potassium sorbate, since if there are any malolactic bacteria in there, if they are not eliminated by the K-META first, then they will metabolize (eat) the potassium sorbate, producing a contaminant compound called geraniol, which smells like geraniums (or wilted roses) and does not break down easily with time.

Got it!

I should add the honey first, wait a day or so to see if any activity happens, then add the PS if I see activity.

Thanks everyone!!

no, no, no - add the PS and campden first - wait a day; THEN add the honey and look for activity in the following days.

Ok, so I will now plan to add some of the Potassium Metabisulfite the same day and time that I will add the Potassium Sorbate. I will then wait a couple of days to allow that time to do what it needs to do to render the yeast useless.

Then I will backsweeten, but pulling a bit of the must, warming it, and mixing in the honey that I intend to sweeten with. Cool that down a bit and then rack the remaining must on top of this newly sweetened must.

After all said and done, I will also allow it some time to clarify and age prior to bottling.

Thanks everyone!!

Ok, so I will now plan to add some of the Potassium Metabisulfite the same day and time that I will add the Potassium Sorbate. I will then wait a couple of days to allow that time to do what it needs to do to render the yeast useless.

Then I will backsweeten, but pulling a bit of the must, warming it, and mixing in the honey that I intend to sweeten with. Cool that down a bit and then rack the remaining must on top of this newly sweetened must.

After all said and done, I will also allow it some time to clarify and age prior to bottling.

Thanks everyone!!

FTW! :mug:

Hey Y'all,

I wanted to post an update on the Blackberry melonmel. I've got going. I originally brewed up the must on 3/18 and racked to secondary about a month later. In the meantime, it's been sitting in secondary while I figure out what's next. Originally I thought it was super dry (tasted like rocket fuel).

I've been reading this board for the past month or so, and intended to backsweeten today and it tasted just like I intended.

So the lesson here, is patience grasshopper. Final gravity came in @ 1.012. The OG was 1.130.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm armed and ready for the next batch which I just put into primary this evening.

Prost!
Travel_mon

Back