potassium metabisulphite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBandit

Reaction score
I haven't seen this recommended any where but can you sanitize your beer equipment with potassium metabisulphite?

I wouldn't. Star-san is a MUCH better choice. I've been learning to make wine and a lotta the wine guys use star-san now too.

I haven't seen this recommended any where but can you sanitize your beer equipment with potassium metabisulphite?

As the others have said, it's not recommended. You can get away with sulphite products in some aspects of winemaking but you will want something else for brewing beer. Iodine based solutions like Iodophor and Star-San are your best bets.

No sulphite is not a decent sanitizer for beer - OK for wine.
Mainly because wine is a difficult environment for bacteria to begin with but also because the sulphite action is complemented by the acid environment in wine - not so in beer.

Thanks for the input guys. I see it is commonly used for wine so I was wondering why it wasn't used for beer.

Back