Potassium Metabisulfite additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sessionz

Reaction score
Hey all, I just picked up a bunch of fresh orchard juice and can’t remember how much Potassium Metabisulfite I added pre fermentation last year. I think I used 1/4tsp per 5 gal, but I can’t be for sure. How much have you all used on on 5 gal of non pasteurized fresh pressed cider? I have seen conflicting recommendations online and was hoping someone could help.

Thanks!

Sulfite isn't one-size-fits-all. The anti-microbial action depends on the pH, so the best thing to do is measure pH and add enough for the desired amount of molecular SO2.
Adding an arbitrary amount could lead to a large over- or under-dose and cause problems.

It's also reasonable to just skip pre-fermentation sulfite. Pitch healthy yeast and it will outcompete the wild yeast and bacteria, especially if you can maintain a low temperature.

Cheers

Thank you for the feedback! My PH was between 3.1 and 3.3 from the two orchards that provided the juice. I put 1/4 tsp in three of the five (5gal) batches. I’ll roll without it on the other three batches. Thank you!

Back