Pot Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxsman

Reaction score
Am moving into the all grain world. I generally brew 5 gallon batches. I currently own a 10 gallon pot. I would like to buy a second pot to use primarily as a (HTL) but would like to also have the ability to brew 10 gallon batches in the future.
Question...is a 15 gallon pot the right size or do I need to bite the bullet and get a 20 gallon pot.? 20 seems large for a 5 gallon (HTL). What do most of you use?
Thanks

I use keggles for all of my kettles (HLT, MLT, and BK) and I do 10 gallon batches.

If I were you I would get the 15 gallon kettle and use it as the BK and use your old 10 gallon as the HLT.

Question...is a 15 gallon pot the right size or do I need to bite the bullet and get a 20 gallon pot.? 20 seems large for a 5 gallon (HTL).

I too was in your exact predicament. Personally, I would go atleast 15 gal (if you can do so). You never know if one day you want to brew a really big beer or actually do a 10gal batch. The added room in the kettle comes in handy and opens up for a lot of flexibility.
What do most of you use?
Thanks
I went with 3 - 20gal. Actually SWMBO made the decision and bought them form me. LOL Anyway, I feel like I can brew any style beer I want to try w/o problem now.

My stepson has caught the taste for my homebrew (thank god he finally learned that there is good beer out there that isn't BMC). I'll probably be doing lots of 10gal batches now where before I only did 5.

I brew 6 gallon batches now as I use 6 gallon carboys...

I will eventually move up to 10 gallon if I start kegging... I would recommend the 15 gallon brew pot, which is what I use now....

I know lots of folks go with the 15gal, but to get 10 gal finished in the kegs I usually start the boil with 14.5 gal. Love my 20gal pot.

I started with a modified 15 keg as my boil kettle for 10 gal batches but I kept having boil overs so I moved to a 20 gal boil kettle and have loved it!!

In reality, there really is not a perfect size for 5 and 10 gallon batches. My rule of thumb for small batch brewing is kettle should be double finished batch size, and a 20 gallon pot seems a little silly large for a guy doing mostly 5 gallon batches. Unfortunately, there is no "right" answer here.

I do agree there is really no perfect size pot for multiple size batches. I think since I do a lot of 5 gallon batches with the occasional 10 gallon batch I believe the 15 gallon pot is the right size. Thanks for the replies.

Back