Pot size and boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oventoasted

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here.

So, im new to brewing and when getting my equipment i purchased a 7 gallon pot to boil my wort in. but like a dumby i didnt notice that the initial boil was not 5 gallons but ~6.5 gallons!

am i screwed or can i still manage this without a nasty boil over? I've heard others say you need a minimum of 2 gallons of extra space. :(

also sorry if this is a repeat post. i did search before posting.

Ya its going to be tight...get a defoamer like femcap..and that will really help, but you still wont be able to get a descent rolling boil at first . It will get better with some boil off though...Take it back and exchange it for an 8 gallon pot minim if you can.

maybe ill just get a larger taller pot and use this one for chilling the larger taller pot.

when you have lemons make lemonade type deal. :)

Hello all! First post here.

So, im new to brewing and when getting my equipment i purchased a 7 gallon pot to boil my wort in. but like a dumby i didnt notice that the initial boil was not 5 gallons but ~6.5 gallons!

am i screwed or can i still manage this without a nasty boil over? I've heard others say you need a minimum of 2 gallons of extra space. :(

also sorry if this is a repeat post. i did search before posting.
I would get a ten gallon pot. A thick walled aluminum pot can be bought with a lid from Staples for about 50 bucks or less. You can get a stainless pot if you have the money and prefer that of course. It makes it a lot easier when you have the proper space in your brew pot.

You can change your starting boil size! My boil off in my pot on my stove is 1 gallon per hour, so I would start with 6.25 gallons of wort to end up with 5.25 gallons in the fermenter. I used a 7 gallon pot, and it was close at first so I'd watch for boilovers, but after the hot break, it was fine.

Boil some water in the pot first, to see what your boil off is, and you may be fine.

maybe ill just get a larger taller pot and use this one for chilling the larger taller pot.

when you have lemons make lemonade type deal. :)

Nice to have extra pots around for sure...Don't know your set up ...but if your on a burner Get a 16 gallon if you can swing it, then your golden for jumping to 10 gallon batches... If your on a stove top Id stay with an 8.

Nice to have extra pots around for sure...Don't know your set up ...but if your on a burner Get a 16 gallon if you can swing it, then your golden for jumping to 10 gallon batches... If your on a stove top Id stay with an 8.

yeah, i got a propane burner cuz my oven is barely large enough for cook pasta let alone a 7 gallon pot, haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i got a propane burner cuz my oven is barely large enough for cook pasta let alone a 7 gallon pot, haha!

Dude I did 20+ brews in a 7.5 gallon kettle and had several boil overs. I learned to watch it closely with my hand on the gas valve, killing the flame just before it went over. It dropped so quick that I could turn it back on and not have to relight.
The hot break still happens, it just takes a little longer, and then you just have to watch the intensity of your boil.
I've got a 12.5 now, and use my 7.5 for heating sparge water, but a full boil can be done carefully.

A spray bottle really helps with boil overs. Also, let the wort hot break before you add hops, usually 15 minutes. Hot break looks like egg drop soup. If you survive the first hop addition, you're usually fine.

But if you can go for a bigger pot, I would.

Oh yeah, you can also reserve 1G water, boil it separately, then add after you have enough evaporation. You lose hop utilization slightly, and it's a hassle, but if you are stuck with that pot it would work.

I don't have much headspace in my pot. I use a 5 gallon pot, do 4 gallon boils, then top off in the fermenter. What I do is take the pot of wort off the heat at the hot break, then stir in my 1st addition, haven't had a boilover since. BTW i have burned my hand badly(ER Visit) by trying to take a boilover off the heat, not a good idea BTW.

Back