Post the bad recipes you've seen.. or made!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
Just curious what ridiculous or out right nasty recipes you've seen or created. Possibly indicate why it was so bad if it's not exactly obvious. I recall a couple from the Guide to Better Brewing (or whatever) from 1965 in the "Funny things you've overheard about beer" thread.

Did a fall clean on the brew room, and kind of combined a bunch of left overs. I still have 3 gallons left from last year if anyone wants. So bad I can't even cook brats in it.

Oktofest Test

Recipe specifics:

Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 22.4
Color (SRM): 9.7
ABV: 5.9%

Grain/Sugars:

8.00 lb Two-row (US), 66.7%
2.00 lb Munich (US), 16.7%
1.00 lb Rauch Malt, 8.3%
1.00 lb Honey Malt (Canadian), 8.3%

Hops:

0.50 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Whole) 60 min, 10.9 IBU

0.50 oz Centennial (AA 9.0%, Whole) 30 min, 11.5 IBU

The worst beer I ever made? This one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23680&highlight=caramel

Oh, god. It was a tooth-ache in a glass. It was so cloyingly sweet, it tasted like cream ale (the soda) with beer added. It was beyond gross.

I was a pretty new brewer, and saw all the reviews about how great this beer was. It is definitely a beer for someone who prefers candy over beer, with a very very strong sweet tooth. It was awful.

Like Kodiak, I made an Oktoberfest that didn't turn out very well, due to me not converting efficiencies in my calculator. It was far too sweet and too high in ABV. I stomached a few, but most went into recipes. The pizza dough I made with one bottle was freakin' awesome.

I tried to make a Romulan Ale. I made a high gravity brew and planned to color it blue with food coloring. I found that I could not get it blue because blue food coloring in yellow beer = green.... So I renamed it Vulcan Blood. It came out very sweet so I added champagne yeast to try to eat though the rest of the sugars. It did not work. But it does make some pretty good No Knead Beer Bread.

15 lb 2 row
3.25 lb Superior Pilsen
1.75 lb Crystal 40
1 lb flaked maize
1 lb table sugar
.75 lb Brown sugar
.2 lb corn sugar

1 oz Apollo 60 min
1 oz Warrior 0 min

WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast.

It finished at 1.006 but was still sickly sweet. I didn't even like it mixed with something else.

Back