Post size for trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbALE

Reaction score
I want to use 3 posts spaced 25' apart for a total length of 50'.

20' posts buried,cemented 3-4' deep.

Cable guy gave me 75' of 1/4" wire rope and ends.

What size post 4x4,6x6,????, do I need to be able to put a ladder
up anywhere along the wire?

I would say at least 4x6 posts and yes you will want to put a ladder up if you want to train the vines along the wire properly, and to harvest the hops.

Keep in mind that you will want to use all the same type of hop or it will take extra work to keep them from mixing in the middle of the wire. Then you won't know which is which.

You'll either need a ladder or a way to lower the horizontal down. Even if you don't plan to lower the cable, you should run it down to the ground on each side of the end posts at an angle to keep the wire tight once all the weight starts pulling on it. Without it, the end posts are going to bend inward pretty bad. I'd be looking at galvanized pipe rather than wood, but that's just me. I really like having the horizontal run through eyebolts or over pulleys so you can lower it down for selective harvesting.

My neighbor grows them on a metal frame trellis to 10' high along the raised patio, then up heavy duty bailing string to the roof line. The vines are accessible from the patio without a ladder and also shades the patio. The perfect set up!

The plan is to be able to put up the ladder anywhere along the wire.

Wire will remain attached with eye bolts to top of posts.

I can use guy wires at end posts.

It's the size of post I am unsure of.

I don't see why 4x4 pressure treated wouldn't work, especially if you plan to use guy lines; hop vines aren't all that heavy.

Back