Post removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
I got an old pin lock keg a while ago and the gas post I was able to remove with a wrench but the liquid post won't bush at all. Any suggestions? I'd like not to have to buy one of those pin lock deep sockets as it hasn't been necessary so far. Thanks.

Hot water can help, and a soak upside down in oxyclean has been known to unstick some of mine. Even a little heat from a grill or cigarette lighter might be enough to free up some of the gunked on syrup. Other ones I've had to have someone hold the keg flat while I really got after it with a wrench pounding on the end to get it to twist.

Heat applied with what? I don't have a torch.

I'll chime in.. fill a 5 gal bucket with a couple gallons of really hot water. Invert the corny in it for at least 5 min to get it hot then try twisting it off. Use a rag and vice grips or a good set of pliers. Use common sense with how much pressure to squeeze with, but I'm thinking those posts are pretty sturdy.

Good luck, let us know how you eventually get it off.

Got it off. Soaking didn't help. Sawed off the handle to get a better angle on it. With immense pressure it came loose. It seems like the Dip tube o ring had melted on the threads or something. It was shredded.

Instead of cutting the handle, why didn't you just go buy the appropriate socket?

pickles said:
Instead of cutting the handle, why didn't you just go buy the appropriate socket?

Impatient and I didn't need it. I can still lift it fine with the other handle.

Back