Post infection aftermath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas_cty_shfl

Reaction score
So I just got hit with my first infection and I'm trying to think ahead to what I should do to prevent one in my next batch. I've racked my brain and can't for the life of me figure out where the infection came from so I'm gonna clean/sanitize the hell out of everything. My only concerns are my better bottle and plastic bottling bucket which I would rather not replace at this point. There are no real visible scratches on either of them so I am wondering if a cleaning, followed by an oxi-clean soak, followed by another cleaning, followed by a star san wash would be enough to rid them of any lingering nasties. As I said I'd rather not replace them at the moment; however, I also don't want to infect another batch.

Maybe let them sit on your santizer longer. Then let air dry. Sounds like it's just a freak accident you got hit with a bug.

Air drying Star San will render it useless. It only works while wet.

+1 to the bleach. Fill your fermenter and everything the infection touched (autosiphon etc) with bleach and soak everything overnight in a bleach solution (1cup in 5 gallons). Wash/rinse everything well with Water the next day like 1 or 2 more times than you think you need to and sanitize well before use.... I try to use this routine every 2-4 batches...

My only concerns are my better bottle and plastic bottling bucket which I would rather not replace at this point. There are no real visible scratches on either of them so I am wondering if a cleaning, followed by an oxi-clean soak, followed by another cleaning, followed by a star san wash would be enough to rid them of any lingering nasties.

The "clean, oxyclean, clean" is a bit confusing/worrying. To "clean" them, are you attacking them a carboy brush? Probably not the cause of your contamination, even if you were using a carboy brush, but best to use just the oxyclean and/or a plastic-safe scrubbing aid like a soft cloth. For the Better Bottle you can shake it with the cloth in it.

More complex devices typically have a higher probability of introducing contamination- auto-siphons, valves, spigots, "weldless" contraptions, come to mind. That doesn't mean you couldn't have plastic scratches in your BB's harboring something.

Do you remove, disassemble, and clean the spigot on your bottling bucket?

The "clean, oxyclean, clean" is a bit confusing/worrying. To "clean" them, are you attacking them a carboy brush? Probably not the cause of your contamination, even if you were using a carboy brush, but best to use just the oxyclean and/or a plastic-safe scrubbing aid like a soft cloth. For the Better Bottle you can shake it with the cloth in it.

More complex devices typically have a higher probability of introducing contamination- auto-siphons, valves, spigots, "weldless" contraptions, come to mind. That doesn't mean you couldn't have plastic scratches in your BB's harboring something.

Do you remove, disassemble, and clean the spigot on your bottling bucket?

Definitely not using the carboy brush. I'm planning on buying some rags special for this purpose and keeping them specifically for use on my brewing equipment.

This will actually be the first time I've disassembled and cleaned the spigot on my bucket. I use it to fill my primary so, now that you mention it, I wonder if there might be some gunk hiding in there that might be the cause of my infection.

kansas_cty_shfl said:
This will actually be the first time I've disassembled and cleaned the spigot on my bucket. I use it to fill my primary so, now that you mention it, I wonder if there might be some gunk hiding in there that might be the cause of my infection.

Ooooooh.... yeah that's probably where it came from. You've never taken it apart? You'll be amazed what you find in between the gaskets. Those things are nasty. I clean it every time now before I bottle.

I have read a few threads where the bottling bucket spigot or bottling wand has been the culprit. I now always disassemble them for cleaning.

Ooooooh.... yeah that's probably where it came from. You've never taken it apart? You'll be amazed what you find in between the gaskets. Those things are nasty. I clean it every time now before I bottle.

You never ran your star san through the spigot? I sanitize mine everytime when I use my bucket.

The first bottling bucket I had leaked around the spigot, so I got a bit neurotic about not messing with this one. I always run star san through the spigot before I use it and water when I'm done but I wonder what else may have built up in all the various nooks and crannies around there. Now that I've been thinking about this all day I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get home is take it apart now.

kansas_cty_shfl said:
The first bottling bucket I had leaked around the spigot, so I got a bit neurotic about not messing with this one. I always run star san through the spigot before I use it and water when I'm done but I wonder what else may have built up in all the various nooks and crannies around there. Now that I've been thinking about this all day I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get home is take it apart now.

I had a similar experience, but it was actually that the spigot cracked on the flashing from me overtightening it. I don't know how yours is, but mine is a pretty poor design; I have to turn the spigot sideways constantly when I'm putting on the bottling wand or storing it. So the nut on the inside loosens, I'll turn the spigot to tighten it, then its too tight. I'd pay good money for a better designed bottling bucket.

Anyway I noticed a while back that the gasket inside was looking spotty on the edges, and when I took it apart the whole thing was filthy. So now I just take it apart and sanitize it before I use it.

Back