Quantcast

Post if you're brewing today

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mew

Reaction score
5.5 gallons of something. Gotta decide in the next half-hour. Any suggestions?

RICLARK

Reaction score
Im on the Fence, I have nothing to do until 6:07pm The Lhbs is 2 Min from my house. Do I want to sit on my rump or........Go through the work of brewing?

SumnerH

Reaction score
Went to the HBS, I now have my first partial mash going. Sort of a traditional-inspired IPA:

Target OG: 1066
Harden water a bit beyond normal (I added 2 tsp gypsum)
Mini-mash: 2 lbs Marris Otter + 8 oz biscuit malt
7 lbs pale DME

Hops to 64 IBU:
4 oz Fuggles @60min
1 oz Fuggles @10min
1 oz Fuggles @flameout
1 oz Fuggles dry-hop

Wyeast 1028

When that's done, I have a Cali common to do today too. :ban:

Donthoseme

Reaction score
It's 32 and coudy in AK. But i might brew a smoked stout just because MT REDOUBT is going to be dumping ash all over Alaska. Might be a nice touch?

OP
Coastarine

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We just had a near catastrophe. As I was stirring in my second infusion I noticed my steel braid swimming around freely in the mash. The solution was easy enough though, at the end of the sacc rest I dumped the entire mash into my bottling bucket, fixed the braid back onto the hose barb, and dumped the whole mash back into the MLT. A little extra vorlauf and we're right back on track. I don't really believe in HSA anyway; I use a drill/paint stirrer to stir my mash.

Beerzoid

Reaction score
5 gallons of Espresso Stout yesterday and today I'm bottling my IPA (used over 8oz's of hops, should be tasty)

Edcculus

Reaction score
Just getting the wort up to a boil. I'm using FermcapS for the first time, and no sign of a boil over!

Edcculus

Reaction score
Oops! The trash people are going to hate me. I dumped my grains into a trash bag. Right when I was about to throw it down the trash chute, I thought, "maybe I should double bag this." Being lazy, I just chucked it down. I definately heard the bag rip open a few floors down. Hot grain cascading down 12 floors. I just hope no chutes were open on the lower floors!

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Local Magazine is interviewing me and I'm demo-ing a brew at a liqueur store in about 2 hours. Doing a Belgium Strong Pale Ale.

They want to dispel the "Home Brew" flavor so I'm also giving out samples of a Porter and a Scottish Heavy

Edcculus

Reaction score
Thats awesome! What do they mean by "homebrew flavor". Are they just trying to prove that home brewed beer can be good?

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A beautiful day on the west coast - sunny and 9c (48F).

Woke up at 7:30, put the water on, back to bed for 45 more (using ceramic cooktop). About to fire the IC into an English bitter with Perle for bittering and Cascade/Willamette blend for flavour.

If all things go well, I'll be pitching by 12:30 pm and have the rest of the day.

Evets

Reaction score
Westmalle Tripel clone from "Clonebrews". Great book.
That's a great recipe as well. I've done that one a few times, now.

Today, I brewed an IPA. this one will have bourbon soaked toasted oak cubes in the secondary. Yummy.
Then I made 1.5# of Mozzarella.
Tomorrow I'm brewing another Kolsch.

OP
Coastarine

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Local Magazine is interviewing me and I'm demo-ing a brew at a liqueur store in about 2 hours. Doing a Belgium Strong Pale Ale.

They want to dispel the "Home Brew" flavor so I'm also giving out samples of a Porter and a Scottish Heavy
If it's going to be in print, please...belgiaN strong pale ale.

SumnerH

Reaction score
Left the house to buy ingredients at 9:45 AM; I'm 20 minutes into the boil for the 2nd beer of the day (onto the Cali common now, the IPA's in primary).

remilard

Reaction score
Probably doing a BIAB this evening. I bought the material at the fabric store today but only my wife is qualified to operate the sewing machine.

Shooting for an IPA or something along those lines.

No I won't be no-chilling but less anyone consider me anti-Australian, I am excited to try the BIAB thing.

Reaction score
Possibly trying to use up some crushed grains tonight so I can use my newly arriving crusher/ingredients next weekend:rockin:

I'll be pushing the limits on crushed grains vacuum sealed.

SumnerH

Reaction score

Very cool, always good to get positive press!

SumnerH

Reaction score
One time was enough for me with the double header brew day. Kudos to you.
I think I'll be done and cleaned up in about 6.5 hours, including the trip to the LHBS before I got going. 1st one was a partial mash, then while it boiled I steeped the grains for the 2nd one (extract + specialty).

I only have one 5-gallon brew kettle but the steeping of 2 gallons was manageable and meant that I had 2 gallons close to boiling as soon as the first batch was chilled and the pot was cleaned. Topping it off cooled it down some, but still basically 10-15 minutes until I had a boil and I was into my 60-minute countdown.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
Brewing up a porter right now. Will be adding some Brewer's Gold for bittering in a few minutes. Kind of a crappy day here in SE Mass. - sprinkling on and off, cloudy, and windy. I set up the canopy tent just in case. I hope to brew up a pale ale tomorrow if my aching back will let me.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Did the Founder's Breakfast Stout clone from last month's BYO today...

I hope it comes out well, because it was a hell on earth brew day...

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I have just started cooling 5.5 gallons of Irish Red Ale. My second AG!

I am so happy, I took my SG before boil and I got a bit higher SG than the recipe. I think I fixed my MLT problems and got a halfway decent efficiency on this batch. It smells so good!

I am also testing the fountain pump wort chiller set-up. It is way too windy out there today to take it outdoors to cool off with the garden hose in the wort chiller...