Post Fermentation Acid Correction (Graff)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I made some Graff recently with half Bavarian Wheat DME and half apple juice (same I always use for cider). Its very wheaty which is great, but there is a little bit of astringency. The only thing I can think of causing it is I typically add an acid blend when I am just doing cider which I didn't think to do here. Am I able to add that now and would that potentially fix a little bit of that tartness?

You can add acid at any time.
I would try some in a small sample before adding any to the entire batch.
I use malic acid rather than a blend, because that's the acid in apples.

Will it fix astringency? "Flabby" cider (lacking acid) doesn't really taste astringent to me, so I'm not sure.
Astringency is more related to tannins than acidity. Tannins may very greatly by apple variety, season, orchard, and method of juice extraction.

You could also try some calcium chloride maybe with a little sodium chloride... in a sample. This may round out the flavor.

Or perhaps your cider just needs a little more time? Tannins can settle and a little oxidation may soften them as well. Some fining agents may help remove certain flavors but I don't have any specific recommendations for that.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back