Post brew process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemontbrew

Reaction score
After my boil I have been cooling the wart thru my chillzilla into a bucket to let the true settle out for 20 minutes before racking into primary fermenter. Waste of time?

Maybe not. If it helps you get 5 gal of clear wort in the fermenter rather then 4.95 gal clear wort and .05 gal trub you could get an extra pint or two out of it. No quality reason to exclude trub from the fermeter though, beer will taste the same either way.

I like that idea. But I wash my yeast, so I like as little trub in the fermenter as possible.

I wash my yeast, so I like as little trub in the fermenter as possible.

Great point. Or if you want to pitch a second beer on the yeast cake once the first is done. I guess your settling procedure could be beneficial if you plan to reuse the yeast later. But if not, I'd say skip it...

I recirculate back to the boil kettle through my CFC. Since I try to only use leaf hops and have a false bottom in the kettle, these make a pretty good filter bed to keep the trub and cold break out of the fermenter. And there's no sanitation worries with the receptacle, as the kettle's been boiling for the last hour.

Back