Post-Boil Hops Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a recipe recently with this technique. Hops are added to un-cooled wort 20-30 min after completing the boil, then the wort is cooled, pitched, etc.

I think I'm going to try it, but is this really much different than adding the hops at flame-out?

If anybody has actual experience with this technique, please post.

L

I know who your talking about.bobbrews.He has a "build your IPA' thread going.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1409930/american-ipa-recipes/everyday-ipa

Started my 8 day dry hop.I changed grain bill for whit i had,but kept Hops & schedule the same
Did a celebration ale clone in the fall,didn't have chiller ready at the end of boil. So 0min hops sat in kettlle for 20 min before chilling.
And that came out great.I think that was the reason. Let you Know how the 30min turns out.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1409930/american-ipa-recipes/everyday-ipa

Hops are added to un-cooled wort 20-30 min after completing the boil, then the wort is cooled, pitched, etc.

Just to clarify, that should read:

Post-boil hops are added to the warm [not hot] wort (approx. 150-160 F) and left to steep for 20-30 minutes while the beer slowly chills to 65-70 F pitching temps. The time that it takes you to reach the initial 150-160 F (down from 212 F) is completely dependent on your ability to chill the wort. The faster the better in my experiences. That is where a fast-working immersion chiller comes in handy. 160 F to 65 F is where you have some leeway; the slower (to an extent) the better. You essentially want a "warm" hop steep. I've steeped the post-boil hops anywhere from 20-50 minutes between these temps with great results. That is where I rely on a slow-working ice bath for the rest of the chilling. End result for me is always a crystal clear IPA with awesome aroma that I can smell from 4 ft away. You should still dryhop, however. So I'm not crediting the post-boil process as the sole reason for that awesome aroma.

For me, all of the below processes are done at different temperatures and times in the brewing process. They should not be too alike or it defeats the purpose. Adding post-boil hops directly at flameout is not all that different from a 1-5 minute boil addition.

Mash hop
First wort hop
Boil hops
Post-boil hops
Dryhop

Back