Post boil gravity too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I brewed a Zombie Dust clone today. It was only a 2 gallon batch.
Here's the info.
Target OG: 1.063
4.5 lb 2 Row
7 oz Munich
3.2 oz Carafoam
3.2 oz Crystal 60
3.2 oz Melanoidin

4.2 gallon strike water / mashed at 152 degrees for 60 min plus a 10 min mash out at 170 degrees.

Had a good rolling boil for 60 min.
Preboil Gravity was 1.048 / Post boil 1.076

I tasted the sample and it's kind of on the sweet side.
I've already racked to carboy but have not added any yeast yet.
Should I leave as is or rack to a bucket and add water to adjust the gravity?

add water if you want - sterile of course - or leave it alone. The difference is either pre-boil water calcs were off or your boil off rate is higher than you think. You don't mention the final volume but picking up 20 points post boil is a lot. Hydrometer might be off as well.

I usually use 1 gal/hr boil off but today it was more than that for some reason. My final volume was right under two gallons. Guess I will need to increase the boil off rate next brew and see what happens.
The last time I had this issue it was with a Rye IPA and it was overly sweet post boil. That was 2-3 mths ago and still cant drink the beer.

If I do not add any water to drop the gravity, should I add additional yeast?
I'm using S-04.
Would this beer be sweet once fermentation is complete?

I would lean toward the side of obsession with over pitching and do two packets of dry yeast.

I guess I could but I had planned in using have that packet for this batch and the other half for another brew I have planned tomorrow.

I may end of racking to a bucket, adding some sterile water then racking back to the carboys. I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the am.

I do have some notty that I harvested about two months ago I could use. May go that route.

Back