Possibly stupid question - How do you pronounce melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Reaction score
MEL-o-mel?
MEL-o-meal?
mel-O-mul?
MELLOW-mel?

Anyone know what's the "right" pronunciation?

The only way I have heard it pronounced by mead makers is the first of your examples.

Forrest

I'd been thinking about asking that for a while.

Perhaps a "pronunciation thread" would be good to have. I'm sure there's a dozen words I've read on here or in brewing books that I've never heard and will soon embarrass myself by mispronouncing them when I use them at my LHBS. :D

I've heard it pronounced "puh-PAY-zee-inn" as well.

What about Perle hops? I've heard the lady at the LHBS pronounce it 'pearl' (and that's how I say it) but on TBN I heard them pronounce it 'PER-lay'.

Gueuze = G uuhh zzzz uh

No really sensible way to explain, it's french at it's worst.

I make it a practice NEVER to say words out loud that have more than 4 (sometimes 5, but never more than one syllable) letters...that way, I only give the impression that I'm a fool when I talk.

I think the old spelling is Meddyglin, two d's in a row make a th sound in welsh so I would pronounce it meth ig linn but I've never heard it aloud so I dont really know.
other words: cyser, pyment, vorlauf?

Vorlauf sounds differently. The Vor bit is logical but lauf seems to be more difficult for English speakers. It is pronounced with the au as you would pronounce the 'ou' in hour. So rather than Vor-loff it is Vor-l 'ou' f.

Incidentally, the capital V is because the word is a noun. In german all nouns begin with a capital letter. This is also why Apfelwein and Bier both begin with a capital letter.

Vorlauf sounds differently. The Vor bit is logical but lauf seems to be more difficult for English speakers. It is pronounced with the au as you would pronounce the 'ou' in hour. So rather than Vor-loff it is Vor-l 'ou' f.

Incidentally, the capital V is because the word is a noun. In german all nouns begin with a capital letter. This is also why Apfelwein and Bier both begin with a capital letter.

I've always pronounced "V" with an english "F" sound. So, For-louf. (Pronounced like "loud" but ending in "F"). Is this correct. I know Deutsch and Dutch are very close, so that's why I ask.

I work at a college and am in good with the German instructor. I should make a vocabulary list and have her do phonetic pronunciations for me. :D

Latest posts

Back