Possibly overcarbed Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigBob

Reaction score
I made a dry, champagne-like cider to give as Christmas gifts this year. After kegging the cider 13 days ago (yes, purging the O2) and cooling to about 38F, I set the pressure to 30psi and let sit for about 2-3 days. When I checked, it seemed to be carbing up nicely but then I lost pressure during my pour. When I checked my tank, it was empty. I had the tank for about 5-6 months so it was probably natural. It took a few to days to get a new tank. So I hooked it up and started carbonated around 20psi, 3 days later, the tank was empty. I was surprised given, the system had no leaks beforehand. After 2-3 days, I got another tank and some new clamps. I cut and reconnected all of my gas lines and clamped them all tight. Running out of time, I set to 30psi and shook the keg for about 3 minutes and left at that pressure for two days.
Now I only have 2-3 days before I wanted to transfer to bottles and it seems like the cider is overcarbonated. Given all of the variable it was difficult to tell where the cider was in the carbonation stage and I couldn't use the "set it and forget it" strategy due to time constraints. The cider pours out very fizzy (how I wanted it) but then the cider is completely flat. I've taken it out of the fridge, off CO2, and have started purging. I need it ready to go in 2-3days. Anyone have any ideas?

Back