Possible to upgrade mini electric water heater element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
I've got one of these and was wondering if anyone has upgraded the element. It comes with a 1500watt and I'd like to get maybe a 3000 watt 240 element in it.

I'm planning on using this with a brewtroller setup so I'd have no problem just upgrading/running the wiring for the 240v element to a relay controlled by the brewtroller.

Or should I not even worry about it?

I've got one of these and was wondering if anyone has upgraded the element. It comes with a 1500watt and I'd like to get maybe a 3000 watt 240 element in it.

I'm planning on using this with a brewtroller setup so I'd have no problem just upgrading/running the wiring for the 240v element to a relay controlled by the brewtroller.

Or should I not even worry about it?

Home Depot says that thing is 1500KW. Wow! Need your own power plant. Kidding aside.

If you put a 3000W 240V element i there you'd only get 750W worth of heat (3000/4). On the other hand, if you put a bigger 120V element in, I'd suspect you'd either be:

1. pushing the electronic wiring to the limit inside that thing
2. would just let the magic smoke out.

I'm going with #2 with a little #1 first. Keep in mind there is always a risk of electrical shock when you modify things. I'm also pretty sure you'd void any warranty that it may have just getting to the element to replace it.

After re-reading maybe I misunderstood. You're going to rewire the unit for 240V?

Oh nevermind, you're saying you can set up to run a 240V SSR with your BT. I get it....finally

I'm going to guess a 3000w element will be too long. Take the 1500w out and see if there might be room.

Back