Possible to restore? Antique tap system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mithranbeer

Reaction score
This antique bar with twp taps and a bunch of dry-rotted rubber hoses lives in my parents' house. My dad has never been a big beer guy, so has never looked into getting it working again. Now that I've started getting into homebrewing, I can't think of anything cooler to do with my beer than getting it flowing through those taps. Does anyone have any experience cleaning / restoring equipment like this? One of the photos shows the coils in a rusty compartment behind the tap handles that to me seem to be an inline-cooling system where that chamber might be filled with ice. I would imagine all manner of gunk is in those coils - any idea of those could be cleaned? Replaced? Thanks for any input.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

It is not refrigerated, but I don't think it's in the budget to modify things to that degree. Maybe if it was in my own house... But I was thinking more along the lines of putting a couple corny kegs in buckets of ice or something for a single event at a time.

That sounds like a great idea. The unit looks to be in very decent condition, just needs some cleaning. Down the road if you decide to upgrade it you could. I think I'd keep it in the original form as much as possible. Replacing the rotted tubing would just be normal upkeep maintenance.

Wow, those faucets are interesting, wouldn't mind getting more details on those. Looks like it's essentially a jockey box, but it also looks like you can take it apart (if it's not frozen from age). I'd start to carefully take things apart and clean as you go. The cabinet/bar looks really good, the internals of the jockey box I would think would be pretty straight forward to clean and get functioning again.

Wonder if you could insulate and add a mini fridge cooling system to that setup and make it into a kegerator?

Otherwise, replacing the coils with kegs and adding ice is a decent option.

I'm most interested in seeing how those faucets go together and if they are still working, or can be made useful again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know when I'll have a chance to get over there and really dig into this project, but when I do I'll be sure to post pictures of what I find. I think the plan for me now is to start gently trying to disassemble the system to clean and take pictures.
Homercidal: I think my plan wouldn't necessarily be to replace the coils with kegs on ice, I'd like to still use them for their original purpose if they are still viable, but if they are too far gone I think I could just bypass the "jockey box" and chill the keg more like you would at a frat party.
If I were to do a kegerator, I think I'd put a mini-fridge behind or under the bar and run lines to the tap handles. This room does not see enough action currently to warrant a permanent refrigeration system to be installed.

The faucets are made by Bishop and Babcock Manufacturing Company, Ohio. I have one exactly like them on an antique jockey box. Everything looks great, I would recommend testing for lead just in case if using the coils.

Also, I believe the company that made it is also the company the produced the faucets. Babcock Manufacturing Company, Ohio. Here is an example of a similar one... http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/40214-antique-bishop-and-babcock-beer-cooler-and

Back