Possible to connect two primary regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to connect two primary regulators to one tank? Currently I have two regulators on two tanks but I want to fit one more keg in my kegerator. This will require me to run only one tank. Is there a way I can connect the two high pressure ports on my regulators so I can use them with one tank?

You might be able to connect one of the primary regulator bodies to the other, forming a dual-primary regulator.

You'd have to remove the high pressure gauge from the first regulator, and remove the input stem and tank coupler from the second regulator, then use a nipple to connect the second to the first. And the threads on that nipple might be right, left, or one of each - totally depends on the two specific regulator threads...

Cheers!

Yep, it certainly can be done, you just need the right pipe nipple. All of the threads should be 1/4" NPT, but as day_trippr said, some regulators are left hand thread and some are right hand.

Yep, it certainly can be done, you just need the right pipe nipple. All of the threads should be 1/4" NPT, but as day_trippr said, some regulators are left hand thread and some are right hand.

Ah ok, what is the easiest way to tell? Also should I use teflon tape in the fittings?

chemman14 said:
Ah ok, what is the easiest way to tell? Also should I use teflon tape in the fittings?

Yes, use teflon tape or pipe dope to make sure the connections seal well. Hopefully there are some threads on the stems and tank pressure gauges still exposed and you can simply look at them to see what the threading is. If not, if you know (or can figure out) what the brand each of your regulators is, you can probably use google to figure it out. Barring both of those options, try turning each both ways and see which way it comes off. It's better to know first though, so you don't accidentally strip the threads or otherwise cause damage by tightening it too far.

Even though a lot of people ise the stuffe, teflon tape and pipe dope are not rated for 1800 PSI - you should be using a liquid sealant like permatex red.

thargrav said:
Even though a lot of people ise the stuffe, teflon tape and pipe dope are not rated for 1800 PSI - you should be using a liquid sealant like permatex red.

Why do we need to control 1800psi? Seems a bit overboard doesn't it?

High strength Loctite 262 works well for the hard CO2 parts, the stem, nipples, valves, etc. Low strength Loctite 242 works well for gauges - you need to be able to remove and replace the gauges.

We buy both in volume to assemble regulators & manifolds with but the products are available from your local parts store.

You will need to screw the 2 regulators together until they are tight then torque them further until they are even. This takes a little bit of strength - I can do it, my Wife can't. Holding one in a vise helps.

Also is this something I can pick up at HD or will I need to order this online? If so where can I get the 1/4 npt to 1/4 npt

chemman14 said:
Also is this something I can pick up at HD or will I need to order this online? If so where can I get the 1/4 npt to 1/4 npt

Depends on the threading. If both sides are right hand thread, home depot or any hardware store will have it. If both ends are left hand thread, many online HBS carry them or you can likely find one locally at a welding supply shop or specialty hardware store. If it's one of each, you'll be limited to a couple of suplliers. I'm on my phone and don't have links, but can post them later if nobody else does.

I checked and they are both left hand threads. So i guess off to the internet it is. Sucks I have to pay $8 shipping for a $4 part :/ haha oh well...

So I just completed this and when I turn on the gas it causes the blow-off valve on the second regulator to open. Does anyone know why this would happen???

Is the relief valve a pull ring type or a tab type? If it's the tab type, are you sure it's in the closed position? Can you post a pic of how you set it up? It should look something like this-

dual-body-co2-regulator.jpg

I accidentally turned up the pressure all the way on the regulator. That fixed that issue but one side had a slow leak. I think I moved them around too much the first time and the loctite didn't set properly. I re applied the loctite and will test again tomorrow.

Back