Possible Stuck Sparge in Heavy Rye Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolman

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I have picked up ingredients for my next brew. It's going to be a rye IPA sorta. I am doing a mini mash with my new mini mashtun set up. Its one of those really small igloo coolers with A braided hose at the bottom. I an thinking about adding a vegetable steamer false bottom to it.

Here's the main question.

My grain that I am going to mash are as such:

2row - 1.2 kg
Crystal 80 - 200 grams
Munich - 200 grams
Malted rye - 200 grams

I think I have read that is I have 10%+ on my mash as rye I need rice hulls but I didn't think of this at the LHBS.

Should I go ahead with the mash or should I get rice hulls?

Also would you advise adding a false bottom to my mini mashtun?

One concern here is that when the water drops below the braid line it stops draining, obviously, but it look like that a more significant percentage of volume of wort that I would be losing. If i didn't use the false bottom I would be displacing the wort upwards and get more volume but if I used the false bottom I have seen that it creates happier sparges.

Oh boy hope that makes sense! Thanks for reading

I suspect that you'll be fine with this little rye, but if you have a grain bag this would be a good time to use it.

I don't follow your reasoning on the pulled volume with braid vs. false bottom. Do you just mean because the braid is acting like a dip tube? If anything, I think the false bottom would help you get slightly more liquid out. Then again, I could be picturing your system completely wrong. A false bottom seems like overkill for a partial mash.

Latest posts

Back