Possible Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
Alright, I brewed a honey brown ale exactly a week ago....the fermentation was very vigorous(at least the bubbling was very vigorous) and stopped bubbling after around 24 hours...took a gravity reading today and it read around 1.018...the projected FG was 1.012 according to beersmith. Is my fermentation stuck or should I just wait longer?

im just a noob on my first batch too but from my understanding thats normal and after a day or 2 the airlock will slow WAY down almost to nothing and it should still sit in there for about another week, mine was bubbling a LOT for the first 24 hours too but i havent seen a bubble for a few days now im just letting it sit about another week before i bottle

yeah...I was just figuring that after such a vigorous start to the fermentation that after a week the beer would be at the FG.

Sometimes those last few points are the hardest to achieve.You can twist the fermentor a few times to get the yeast into suspension and that may help. Let it sit for at least another week though as it will only help the final outcome.

I've had a higher gravity stout that's been SLOOOOOOWLY going down over the past few weeks. It fermented well for a week and a half and then basically stopped according to the airlock and that's why you don't trust the airlock. I checked the gravity and it was stuck for 3 days straight and then I followed the advice on here of gently swirling the fermenter, moving it to a bit warmer environment, and racking it to secondary. Basically, it has come down 0.002 in the past 2 weeks but it is still producing CO2 (I see it bubbling slowly in the carboy). I figure I'll give it another 2 weeks or so. If it drops another 0.002, I'll leave it again. If not, I'll probably bottle even though it is high unless someone on here has a suggestion not involving Beano...

If you're at 1.018 and the FG is projected at 1.012, you may be close to done. I'd take the gravity again in a few days and if it is the same, call it finished and either bottle or keg. I've found BeerSmith doesn't always take all unfermentables and circumstances into account (even though it is a very good program).

I've had a higher gravity stout that's been SLOOOOOOWLY going down over the past few weeks. It fermented well for a week and a half and then basically stopped according to the airlock and that's why you don't trust the airlock. I checked the gravity and it was stuck for 3 days straight and then I followed the advice on here of gently swirling the fermenter, moving it to a bit warmer environment, and racking it to secondary. Basically, it has come down 0.002 in the past 2 weeks but it is still producing CO2 (I see it bubbling slowly in the carboy). I figure I'll give it another 2 weeks or so. If it drops another 0.002, I'll leave it again. If not, I'll probably bottle even though it is high unless someone on here has a suggestion not involving Beano...

If you're at 1.018 and the FG is projected at 1.012, you may be close to done. I'd take the gravity again in a few days and if it is the same, call it finished and either bottle or keg. I've found BeerSmith doesn't always take all unfermentables and circumstances into account (even though it is a very good program).

I kind of knew I was jumping the gun a little bit...guess I need to be a little more patient ...thanks

Back