possible stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooomanycolors

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch that had an OG of 1.139 on Jan 30, tonight March 4 I took a reading of 1.060, the batch had 19lbs of honey and was bitched with EC-1118 yeast, did i manage to beat the yeast or should I repitch. Im really not in a hurry with this since Im waiting for cherry season anyway.

tooomanycolors said:
I have a 5 gallon batch that had an OG of 1.139 on Jan 30, tonight March 4 I took a reading of 1.060, the batch had 19lbs of honey and was bitched with EC-1118 yeast, did i manage to beat the yeast or should I repitch. Im really not in a hurry with this since Im waiting for cherry season anyway.
don't ***** at the yeast next time, they'll be more apt to do their job right.

wow, I had to!

yeast nutrient used?
yeast energizer used?

sounds like the yeast wasn't given all it needed in the beginning and has petered out. 1.139 is a big mead.
You might need to make a small starter, feed it plenty of energizer and some nutrient, and then pitch that to restart fermentation. use the same yeast strain.

yes I used nutrient, but I dont think I used energizer in this one. I repitched it on tuesday and added more nutrient so well see what happens next
:ban:

Back