Possible solution to my welding problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
If some of you didn't see the post a week and a half ago, the welder didn't put my couplers all the way through my kegs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/help-welder-didnt-do-what-i-wanted-103809/

I think I've come up with a solution that might allow me to grind through the keg but not damage the threading in the coupler so I can have access to the threads...
Is there such a thing as a 6"X1/2" NPT plug, or some kind of 6"X1/2" NPT bushing I can thread all the way through the coupler so that I can damage the bushing/plug instead of the coupler when grinding? I searched up and down the internet but can only find plugs less than 1" long. No good. Any help is appreciated.

no. you can not run any thing straight through the coupler, once you get half way through the threads change direction. correct me if i'm wrong.

I am not shure what you are doing, but can you just re-tap the threads from the outside of the keg back in after you do your grinding, a 1/2 inch npt tap will clean the threads out, I do it with damaged pipe couplings on drain pans and it works fine.

Right, you can dremel out the stuff in the way of the threads, then clean them out with a pipe tap. It's not something I'd buy for that purpose but all plumbers would have a set.

no. you can not run any thing straight through the coupler, once you get half way through the threads change direction. correct me if i'm wrong.

Damn. I didn't know that. If it's true, that really sucks. It would have been the easiest solution. But all of the responses have been very informative. If I damage the threads exposing them, then I can bother my plumber friend to borrow the equipment to re-tap them. Problem solved. I'm hoping to not need the pipe tap though. As they stand, the threads are good on the inside, they just aren't accessible. I am hoping to avoid damaging them with the grinding but it's probably not going to be easy to avoid. How excited am I? If you guys lived near me you would have my next batch.

:rockin:

Actually, I just found a half inch npt tap on-line for 5 bucks. So this thing would just feed itself into the existing threads and fix any damage I do to them from the grinding? If that is true this is getting easier and easier and I really owe you guys a beer.

it is made to cut/thread metal that was not threaded before, you should have no trouble using it to fix existing threads, it should go all the way through your fitting.

Latest posts

Back