possible problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCacheGuy

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Red Ale. Looks good and taste good, but when I pour it in a glass gets so nice head but there are white clumps in the bottom of the glass. Seems to be more so when it's chilled. Opened an unchilled bottle and still had some but not as much. Tried to take a picture of it but couldn't see it well. Oh and it's been conditioning about 10 days.

Ok, I.m new at this-- haven't done any brewing in 25 years or so-- Making a double IPA from a kit. Started 4 days ago-- lots of bubble thru the airlock- almost constant-- until yesterday-- now just every minute or so-drastic slowdown . I know from reading here the advice is to be patient- but I expected bubbles for a week or more-- Any good tips-- or should I just wait?

micob7 said:
Ok, I.m new at this-- haven't done any brewing in 25 years or so-- Making a double IPA from a kit. Started 4 days ago-- lots of bubble thru the airlock- almost constant-- until yesterday-- now just every minute or so-drastic slowdown . I know from reading here the advice is to be patient- but I expected bubbles for a week or more-- Any good tips-- or should I just wait?

This has nothing to do with the OP's post, don't hijack start a new one......but to answer-leave it be for 2 weeks and take a gravity reading to see where it's at:)

TheCacheGuy - Sounds like you just grabbed some trub when bottling. Did you rack it or filter it? If not I wouldn't worry about it in regards to anything bad.

Micob7 - Let it go. It all sounds normal. Sometimes fermentation can be quick but just because you aren't seeing any activity it doesn't mean fermentation is done. Like duboman said. Let it go 2 weeks and take a gravity reading.

TheCacheGuy - Sounds like you just grabbed some trub when bottling. Did you rack it or filter it? If not I wouldn't worry about it in regards to anything bad.

Micob7 - Let it go. It all sounds normal. Sometimes fermentation can be quick but just because you aren't seeing any activity it doesn't mean fermentation is done. Like duboman said. Let it go 2 weeks and take a gravity reading.

Thanks I Racked only. Live and learn. Only my 2nd batch. 3rd Batch will be going tomorrow or Saturday.

Racking is fine. Just be careful to leave the trub behind as best you can. We don't typically filter either and there is always some yeast and sediment behind. Not a big deal and it is expected without filtering. You probably got a little extra trub when bottling, that is all.

Lol if you're going to hijack a thread try to be more subtle about it :mug:

OP as everyone else said that's probably normal. Try leaving the yeast in the bottle while pouring.

Thanks for all the comments. I let it sit another 7 to 10 days and the white clumps have disappeared.And if I do say so myself it has turned out pretty darn good! In fact gave a 6 pk to a friend and his comment was "Well he just took a drink, says it is very complex and has a great flavor, he really likes it. :) thanks for sharing!" And this person is what I like to call a "Beersnob " ;p Thank Everyone here for all the knowledge and thank you to my local homebrew store.

Back