possible problem with my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybutt35

Reaction score
this is my first 5 gallon homebrew. upgrading my new hobby from mr beer and i know that i should not worry but its hard when its your first baby. i didnt know i had to put the cap on the hydrolock and i realized the next day and i put the cap on. also i know that i definantly put too much irish moss in. i didnt realize i only needed a teaspoon and definantly put more than that in (probably around 2 tb). i am getting no activity in my hydrolock and cant tell if i have a bad seal somewhere. its now tues and started on sunday. i dont want to compromise opening the lid to see if anything is going on but is it safe to. i know not to add air but wasnt sure on safety if i try my best not to aerate it. what should i do? patience or panic.

Patience!

The airlock is not a fermentation gauge. The last beer I did took probably a full 18 hours to begin a very active fermentation, since it was in a glass carboy I could see when the Krausen started to form. And although there is no activity in your little airlock, this does not mean that the yeast have not started to do their magic. Let it sit, if you must look, pull the little airlock off and peer in the hole. If there is foam on top of the wort, then you are good to go. Leave it and forget about it for a couple weeks. :)

thanks for the quick response. i went to look through the airlock and was able to catch a glimpse of krausen without having to take it out. it must just be starting slow.

Back