Possible problem with batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyB

Reaction score
Whats up Everyone,

I brewed 2 batches recently of the same recipe with minor differences. The recipes were your basic cream ale recipe I got at ritebrew.com. I also brew 2.5 gallon batches and use Beersmith to scale correctly.

Recipe 1 Clear 2 weeks in primary: .5 oz Libery Hops, Pitched us-05 into carboy. Easy Krausen. Not cloudy

Recipe 2 Cloudy 1 week in primary: .25 oz Citra Hops, Re-hydrated us-05 yeast in 95* water and pitched. A lot of Krausen. Very cloudy

The batches were brewed 1 week apart and are showing major differences.

Both had fermentation going within 24 hours. Images posted below. Not sure why they are so different. Used good sanitizing practice with Star-San.

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks!!

P.s. Love the Forums

So one batch is 2 wks old and pretty much cleared, the other is 1 week old and hasn't cleared yet? I don't see a problem.

You are comparing wort at 2 separate stages of fermentation - 2wks vs. 1wk. The 1wk batch is cloudy because the yeast haven't finished their work yet. Give em time

Oh ok I'll wait longer. I was just concerned because they are similar batches but they looked so different

so the cloudy batch isn't really clearing upI will still wait like another week to 2 weeks maybe even transfer into a secondary but I realize that I did something different .when I was adding hops I figured why not add the Irish moss into the same bag as the hops. is it possible when when hop swelled up the Irish moss was just stuck in them and didn't do what it was supposed to do

Latest posts

Back