possible oxidation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
not sure where this thread would be better suited, so mods feel free to move it.

ISSUE:
i brewed an IPA and a chocolate stout that i just kegged yesterday. however, due to my own poor planning, i was forced to transport the freshly filled kegs in my truck for 100 miles before i was able to put some co2 in them. i had them in the back seat, resting on a pillow to help absorb some of the bumps, but i think some "sloshing" was inevitable.

QUESTIONS:
(1) what do you think the chances of oxidation problems are?
(2) can oxidation be removed by repeatedly purging the keg with co2?
(3) is there anything i could/should do, aside from not transporting my beer this way in the future?

1 How much air was at the top of the keg? totally full, then no problem.

2. No, Oxydation changes the chemical makeup of the beer. Once in, it can't be gotten out, however

3. no idea.

there was maybe ~3" of headspace. i usually only fill them to the bottom of the gas in tube, that way i can purge them without beer shooting everywhere (my coke kegs don't have relief valves on the lids).

i guess my main question was whether it was correctible or not. and since it's not, i guess i'll find out what oxidized beer tastes like, lol.

I wasted a keg of kolsch once this way. didn't purge the headspace, and then it leaked as well, so by the next day when I tapped it, you had a distinct wet cardboard flavor that wasn't there 5 days prior.
Drove 200 miles with it upright and seat-belted, on the interstate (not bouncy country roads).
Hopefully yours fairs better than mine though.

I have eard that nitrogen can be used to remove dissolved oxygen from beer although more research would be needed to find the correct method to do this. Also it won't reverse the oxidation however it will prevent further oxidation and give a nice creamy head

Three inches of head space? Hmm. Co2 probably came out of solution and filled that space. "The Man" is probably correct though, carb them up and drink soon. Then again you could carb them up drink one soon and let the other sit awhile and tell us how it turns out, might dispell some myths or not.

thanks for the input anyway. they're carbing up now, so i'll be "testing" on them pretty soon. hopefully i didn't ruin 'em too bad.

Latest posts

Back