Possible Overcarbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr1

Reaction score
My friends helped me bottle my 5 gallon batch a couple of days ago. Left it 2 weeks in fermenter and final gravity was the similar to my first batch.
I boiled priming sugar (bought a 5oz package) in 2 cups of water. And then for experimental flavor we decided to melt four (1.5oz) Hershey bars and mix it in as well as roasted marshmallow flavoring. I didn't pour in all of the sugar solution but I poured probably 80-90% of it. Transferred the beer then gradually mixed in some of the chocolate.
Due to the extra sugar from the chocolate how concerned should I be about bottle bombs or overcarbonation?
If it's too much, is there anything I can do to save it? Or at the very least prevent it from exploding glass and beer all over my apartment closet?

Edit: note that not all of chocolate didn't get mixed in there was a lot sticking to the bowl and spoon but a decent amount still mixed in

Also if your curious my friends liked the sample better than a store bought chocolate stout

A quick google search shows a 1.5 oz. Hershey bar to have 24 grams of sugar. Times 4 and you have an extra 3 ounces of priming sugar. You will also have some solids that won't ferment.

Assuming that's a 5 gallon batch you have carbonated at around 4 volumes (using a priming sugar calculator). But not knowing if the sugar is thoroughly mixed, how accurate your measuring is, etc. I'd be worried.

When the bottles have started carbonating, you can open the caps to release pressure and re-cap. You can also stick the whole batch in the frig when they carbonate at or slightly below a reasonable level.

EDIT: And keep them in a solid box in the meantime.

Back