Possible mystery beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer from a Brewers Best American light kit.
Everything went smooth and am on the second day of fermentation.
I did notice that the wort was very dark, I just figured it would lighten after fermenting, until I saw pictures of someone brewing the same kit. his was much lighter. I thought maybe I scorched it but didn't think so, then I found a youTube video, the light LME he poured from an identical can as the one in my kit was much lighter. The LME in my kit was very dark right out of the can.
Could it have been mislabeled maybe?
I guess I have to wait and see what I get.
PS: to spite the dark color the OG was 1.039 right in the middle of recommended range.

The color may have looked different in the youtube vid due to whatever quality of camera was used to record the video, or lighting quality differences between where the video was made and where you were brewing.

Your kit could have been older, and the canned LME darkens noticeably with age.

Don't worry too much about the color, just carry on, but depending on where you buy your brewing supplies you may want to consider shopping at a store with much higher turnover and/or online at a big homebrew store that has a very high turnover and crushes the grains when you order them.

I have seen some BB kits sitting on shelves in homebrew stores with dust on the top of them. That means the kits are pretty old, and so aren't going to give the best results in color and flavor.

For your next batch, we can help you make the color lighter by having you add the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil and other things, but for now don't worry about the color as it very well may end up darker but still tasty.

I did order it online from Home Brew Ohio through Amazon.com, not sure how much turnover they have but its possible the LME was old as you suggested.
I did find a very nice local supply store and will do all further business with them.
PS: Brewers Best is located in Kent Ohio and the local brew supply stores drive out there once a week and pick up supplies, should be pretty fresh that way.

I did order it online from Home Brew Ohio through Amazon.com, not sure how much turnover they have but its possible the LME was old as you suggested.
I did find a very nice local supply store and will do all further business with them.

Is that the one in Struthers? If so, I like him (Greg) very much and I know he'll take good care of you. If you go in there, tell him I said "hi!"

menerdari said:
PS: to spite the dark color the OG was 1.039 right in the middle of recommended range.

Just an fyi, the color of the wort has absolutely no bearing on the OG of the beer. Your OG was in range because of the amount of fermentables you added.

Is that the one in Struthers? If so, I like him (Greg) very much and I know he'll take good care of you. If you go in there, tell him I said "hi!"

Yes he is one of them and another nice place in Warren called winemakers headquarters,
In fact I have a BB American Amber kit I got from Greg last week that I want to brew this coming weekend if I don't have to work.

Back