Possible mistake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
I just started my first homebrew and i followed the directions of the ingredient kit, but i think i made a mistake and I need to get an opinion.

After i boiled the water in the pot, I added the extract and then i added the hop pellets. Unfortunately, after i covered the pot with the lid, it over flowed a bit and some of the hops ended up outside of the pot. Will this drastically affect the brew?

Thanks for your help in advance.

It will still be fine, you dont want to cover your pot when boiling, it will trap bad things that need to escape like DMS etc.

Well the obvious answer is that it depends on how much of the hops was lost. Your recipe was designed to achieve a certain balance between the sweetness of the malt and the bitterness of the hops. If you've lost more of one than the other, you've got an unbalance. You're the best judge of that.

I am surprised the kit didn't come with Muslin bags for the hops. Anyway, if it was a very small amount, it probably won't alter the taste much.

i've never had a kit with a bag for the hops...just a grain bag. i've never bag'd my hops, pellet or otherwise.
some do, some don't.

but NEVER boil with the lid on. you need to boil of the dimethyl sulfide, or you can end up with a cooked vegetable/cabbage flavor in your beer.

Back