Possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truenorth73

Reaction score
I used an extract recipe kit from northern brewer for a fresh squished ipa got to bottling day and have just started opening some to check carbonation and flavor and I discovered that some of my bottles have some bigger bubbles at the top of the bottle that look kinda yucky and I wonder if I have an infection? I did use some Guinness bottles I got from friends and wondered if they had mold and if those big kinda nasty bubbles are mold and if so what to do? Please help,took the best picture I could with my phone.
IMG_6578.JPG

I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't like the look of that. Hopefully it is nothing.

As a newbie, I've used only bottles that I saved myself, and always at least rinsed them out immediately after emptying the first time. Then some time later a soak in PBW, dry, and store, then sanitize at bottling time. No infection so far.

The film on top is called a pellicle.
You have some wild yeast and/or bacteria. Not mold.

It is safe to drink.

Equipment (including bottles) needs thoroughly cleaned in addition to being sanitized with a non-rinse sanitizer.
Rinse used bottles immediately after emptying.

I soak my bottles in a warm PBW cleaning solution for 24 hours, rinse with a bottle washer. Visually inspect and do a rinse and then sanitizer spray before bottling. Dried upside-down with a FastRack so nothing touches the inside. Sanitize caps immediately before use.

There is a small chance that the bottles may over-carbonate and create "bottle bombs", which is as bad as it sounds. Keep monitoring the carbonation. It would be safest if you put them all in the fridge after they reach the desired carbonation level. Otherwise store them somewhere safe.

I figured as much and really appreciate the reply . I bottled a cream ale the same day I bottled the IPA but does not seem affected ? I also have a five gallon brown ale and a five gallon irish stout and a one gallon off the topper ipa in my chest freezer now, should i be concerned about my all my equipment is this something that I should be worried about possibly infecting everything ?

It could have just been that the bottles weren't cleaned well enough.
I wouldn't worry about the other batches if they aren't showing any problems (unexpected flavor/aroma, pellicle, gushing), but be vigilant.

As I said, rinse equipment/bottles immediately after use and clean everything thoroughly between uses. Use a no-rinse sanitizer liberally for everything cold-side.

Wild microbes are everywhere, something we all face.

My bottles get a soak in Oxyclean before first use, to clean as well as get label off. But I find if I'm diligent about rinsing with hot water immediately after pouring, they're good to go. I'll do another hot water rinse right before I sanitize and bottle. Never had any bottle infections thus far.

Did you sanitize your bottle caps? The infection(if that's what it is) could've gotten into your beer before you even bottled though.

If it's only some bottles, it's a bottle infection. Toss those bottles or clean and sanitize the crap out of them. If it's all bottles, the infection was already in the brew. Replace all your plastic and clean and sanitize everything else. You can try to clean the plastic but, for me, it's not worth the risk.

My bottles get a soak in Oxyclean before first use, to clean as well as get label off. But I find if I'm diligent about rinsing with hot water immediately after pouring, they're good to go. I'll do another hot water rinse right before I sanitize and bottle. Never had any bottle infections thus far.

Did you sanitize your bottle caps? The infection(if that's what it is) could've gotten into your beer before you even bottled though.

Thanks for the response, yes I do sanitize my caps before bottling.

You might be able to pasteurize them in a water bath to stop whatever it is from spoiling your beer. Make sure they are sufficiently carbed and then pasteurize them before the infection causes them to over-carbonate, at which point it would be too risky to attempt. Might be a delicious sour you've got there, tart and refreshing.

My friends are scared of them, better for me!
LOL. Most of the stuff I brew intentionally has pellicles and wild microbes.

In fact, the same goes for everyone, intentional or otherwise :)
Like I said, wild microbes are everywhere. Brewing is not a sterile process and they don't always leave a pellicle.

Cheers

Back