Possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
Few months back I made a maple dark syrup ale. It's been in the bottles since the first of December. I've tried several bottles over the last few months. Every bottle I open is very fizzy. When I pour some into the glass, it's almost all foam. It also has a sour taste to it. I gave some to a friend. He noticed the same sour taste. Is it infected?

Biggest issue would be if bottle bombs would develop- very bad. Handle with care. Think welding gloves, eye protection. If it's drinkable and to your liking taste wise, I'd put it in a cooler with a lot of ice to slow down the infection process and drink as quickly as possible. If you don't like it, dump it.

Biggest issue would be if bottle bombs would develop- very bad. Handle with care. Think welding gloves, eye protection. If it's drinkable and to your liking taste wise, I'd put it in a cooler with a lot of ice to slow down the infection process and drink as quickly as possible. If you don't like it, dump it.

I think it's too late for drinking. It's awful.

I'd still chill them if you're planning on dumping them. Lessen the chance of it exploding all over you and the kitchen (and the wife...:)).

Sounds like an aceto infection. It will slowly turn to vinegar. Here's what mine looked like last year.

downsize.jpg

That picture was about 6 weeks after bottling. They started foaming a bit at 3 weeks and slowly got worse and tasted more and more like vinegar. Finally, once they turned into gushers at 6 weeks, I decided to dump the batch before I got bottle bombs.

I like the picture, though. Kind of looks like a flux capacitor :)

I have half of the bottles sitting in an old fridge in my brew cave. I'll open them up over the weekend and watch all that money and effort go down the drain. :(

Back