Possible infection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iWillbrew

Reaction score
This was my 2nd all grain batch and was intended to be a munich lager. I thought i was really careful to have cleaned and sanitized equipment and good rinse. Here was the recipe:

7 lbs munich
3 lbs vienna
1 lb dark wheat german
2 lbs german pilsner
.25 lbs chocolate wheat
.25 lbs caramel wheat

1 oz tradition hops
1 oz tettnang

1 pack munich lager yeast

The 5 gallon batch was lagered in a small chest freezer at 50 deg f for 7 days then diacetyl rest at 60 deg for 4 days. After that was it was dropped to 34 deg for 30 days, untouched. I bottled the beer and carbonated with table sugar but it can came straight from our sugar container. The first beer i had had somewhat of a strong taste but its hard to describe. I let the other bottles sit another month. The past 3 times i consumed a bottle i end up with a headache. The fist two times i passed it off as me not drinking enough water and maybe i was dehydrated. But today makes time 3. I had just one of those and another headache. My question is if anyone else has had this happen. I dont want to dump the whole batch if its just coincidental but i also dont feel like i could drink it. Maybe i will have someone else try it

Andrewtherooster said:
Does it have off-flavors that are causing the headache?

Thats what i was wondering. I couldnt imagine flavors causing the headache. I guess my bigger question is if there is anything else that could be associated with any other infection that could cause that.

Normally I would say you probably fermented too hot and you have some fusels in there. I don't think that would really happen with a lager, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Infections usually have off flavors and/or aromas, but I don't know of one that would give you a headache. Were you drinking anything else before or after that might be a problem? Does drinking other homebrew have side effects for you?

blizzard said:
Normally I would say you probably fermented too hot and you have some fusels in there. I don't think that would really happen with a lager, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Infections usually have off flavors and/or aromas, but I don't know of one that would give you a headache. Were you drinking anything else before or after that might be a problem? Does drinking other homebrew have side effects for you?

None of my other brews have done that and i noticed it doing it again today and that was the only brew i had. Im not sure what it is causing that but i think im just going to dump the batch and sever my ties with that one

None of my other brews have done that and i noticed it doing it again today and that was the only brew i had. Im not sure what it is causing that but i think im just going to dump the batch and sever my ties with that one

Have you done other brews that used wheat malt?

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Have you done other brews that used wheat malt?

Cheers!

Yeah i have done 2 others with wheat. One of them was 60% of grain bill and turned out fairly well. Is there something about wheat which could cause that.

Yeah i have done 2 others with wheat. One of them was 60% of grain bill and turned out fairly well. Is there something about wheat which could cause that.

I was just thinking if this was the first brew using wheat you've done that perhaps you have some kind of allergic reaction to the wheat...

Cheers!

Back