Possible Infection? Would Like A Second Opinion (Pictures Included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcwegnm0b

Reaction score
Hello,

Checked on my current batch today and noticed something new. There is a white ring around the top of my ale (on the side of the carboy), with a few dozen very small white spots spread out over the top of the beer. Here are the best pictures I could get before my camera's batteries died... sorry I couldn't get any better ones:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/fcwegnm0b/InfectionCarboy.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/fcwegnm0b/InfectionCloseUp.jpg

Here's the recipe and some other pertinent information:
(N.B. I'm not looking for a critique of my recipe; it was an experiment... unless you have something nice to say, that is...)

4 gallons (I guess it's more of a braggot than an a beer):

2 lbs. Plain Light DME
4 lbs. Wildflower Honey
2.5 Cups Total Fruit Juice (Grapefruit, Oranges, Uniq Fruit, and Kiwi)
.5 Ounce Galena (pellets) - Boil
< .25 Ounce Cascade (pellets) Finishing

The honey and fruit juice was added after the boil and steeped at 160F for 15 minutes. Pitched 2 packets of (what I hoped was) ale yeast from Muntons Old Ale Kit.

Left it in the primary for 11 days and racked to carboy to allow it to clear. It has been in the carboy for 3 weeks today. Fermentation went as I expected... vigorous for a few days, etc. like one would expect from an ale yeast. I did not notice any activity once it was in the carboy.

I looked around at some pictures of other peoples' infected/contaminated beer... nothing really came too close... the closest had big white spots on the surface of the beer... nothing on the side of the carboy.

My theories:

1. Didn't steep honey and juice long enough to kill everything. Bacterial infection.

2. I use bleach to sanitize... maybe I missed a spot in my carboy or siphon.

I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff for bacteria to eat in there... I doubt the yeast from those kits was of the best quality.

Anyway, my plan before this happened was to rack to another carboy and allow to clear again... now I'm thinking I should just bottle it and see what comes out... has anyone seen anything like this? A second opinion or two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My theory... You're fine. If I had to guess, that white ring is yeast particles clinging to the side. Because you used bleach, I guess it's theoretically possible they could be bleach crystals, but you would have had to use a TON of bleach and not rinse at all, so let's toss that idea aside.

Most infections appear as kind of a platic-y, gelatin film on the surface of the brew. But one thing they all have in common - an off taste. Nothing's gonna kill you, so go ahead and taste it. If it tastes fine, it probably is!

Good luck.

PS Assuming it passes the taste test, continue with your plan to rack again. In fact, either way, you should rack it. If you were planning to bottle it even if it's a bit infected, no reason you shouldn't have a clear product.

Looks alright to me. Might just be a little yeast activity restarted from the racking. I wouldn't do anything rash. I say go along with your original plan and see how it comes out, worst that can happen is it's not awesome and you learn something, but given it time and it'll probably be better than you expect.

Welcome to HBT!

Looks like yeast floaties to me and not even really impressive yeast floaties.

Honey is naturally antimicrobial and you certainly pasteurized the juice long enough. I can't think of one reason that you should be worrying so I think you should relax and have a beer.

Give it a week. If it doesn't get bigger than you're fine. If it gets bigger and still tastes fine you're probably good but watch for bottle bombs. If it grows but tastes bad still bottle it, watch for bottle bombs and wait a month before judging it.

Do not dump it!!

Nurmey - Thanks... I've been snooping around here for a few months now, I just haven't had anything to say.

Everyone else - Thanks for the input... I agree now that what I was seeing was just some yeast that floated up to the top. I probably should have racked it before the yeast started to decompose... oh well. Tasted about as it should... I didn't really know what to expect. A little too thin body-wise... noted for the next batch. Gravity today was 1.002. Got a little drunk while brewing this one and forgot to take an original gravity reading.

I'll accept comments on my recipe now... any thoughts on giving this one more of a body? Maybe some crystal malt...

Saccharomyces - I think I'll keep this batch for myself... unless you ask reeeeaaaally nicely...

Thanks again for the input everyone. Oh yea, pictures.

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

The color stunned me when I pulled the carboy out and got some light on it.

yeah your probably fine. However, you may want to switch from bleach to iodophor or starsan. Bleach residue is super hard to wash out and I'm told that bleach reacts negatively with maltose.

Back