Possible infection in beer - Can't find anything like it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robg

Reaction score
First post, long time stalker. Love the forum.

BUT

I'm doing a malt extract brew, a dark cervesa. I'm lagering it (have a cold storage, must lager!), but I'm getting weird balls appearing.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

I've looked around at other infections, but have never seen anything like it. My lager is about 3 months old now, and the first one appeared about a month ago.

I assume it's mold.. but wanted to see if someone can verify.

Cheers
robg

I see some bubbles there, so I'm adding +1 to yeast that broke free and floated to the top.

Really? I thought that yeast usually sank. I was hoping it was yeast, but my faith was wavering.

Next, related, question: If I have a sip of the beer before I bottle it, will I taste the moldyness (if it is moldy)? Probably?

Really? I thought that yeast usually sank. I was hoping it was yeast, but my faith was wavering.

Next, related, question: If I have a sip of the beer before I bottle it, will I taste the moldyness (if it is moldy)? Probably?

It does, but remember yeast creates CO2. If it traps enough co2 over time, a clump will break off and float.

To the second question....you might be able to taste mold, but I'm almost positive that's not what you have so if something doesn't taste right I wouldn't chalk it up to mold.

That happens all the time. Normal yeast floaties

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Agreed. And likely the reason why one can't find anything like it - aside from a bazillion normal fermentations.

The OP was looking in the wrong place ;)

Cheers!

Definitely looks uninfected. To add, if you're lagering, I'm assuming your beer has fully fermented, meaning you have beer, a magical environment where mold simply cannot live. Cheers!

Def yeast rafts,but the shape suggests to me it has some cold break protiens in them as well. no worries. If it was infected,it could taste like a sour from lacto or bret. Mold tastes like what it is to me. Like mold,musty damp cardboard from the basement.

Def yeast rafts,but the shape suggests to me it has some cold break protiens in them as well. no worries. If it was infected,it could taste like a sour from lacto or bret. Mold tastes like what it is to me. Like mold,musty damp cardboard from the basement.

I agree with my fellow Ohioan, I thought the same thing when I looked at the shape of the islands. It looks like yeast hanging on to cold break material. And to second his further comment, if it tastes good your in the clear.

Weird!
Yeah, I've done somewhere in the range of 10-15 batches, 2 of which were lagers, and never seen yeast float up to the top like that. Especially since lager yeast is bottom-fermenting - I kind of assumed that meant it wouldn't float up to the top.
You're all awesome!

Back