Quantcast

Possible High FG IPA?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Surye

Reaction score
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.45 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 50.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma) Hops -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -
1 Pkgs Pacific Ale (White Labs #WLP041) Yeast-Ale

-------------------------

I measured 1.083 as my OG... I may have been off in my temp, but I don't know why it's so much more then Beersmith's calculation.

It's been fermenting for 10 days, with vigorous action from day 2 to day 5. It's slowed down to no bubble activity. The SG has been 1.028 for 2 days now, and it has come down to 62F for the last 3 days.

I tasted it, it's not bad, but I think it could be a little dryer. Also, I didn't use a yeast starter or nutrients, but I did aerate pretty well.

Not sure why the OG read so high, the FG seems stuck, and there is a really thin krausen layer that isn't bubbly (used to be a lot bigger and bubblier).

Any advice on this? Beyond RDWHAHB :p

The Pol

Reaction score
You could have only gotten about 1.072... so the OG is off.

Your FG is high... Id secondary and warm it up a bit.

OP
Surye

Surye

Reaction score
You could have only gotten about 1.072... so the OG is off.

Your FG is high... Id secondary and warm it up a bit.
I was planning on racking Sunday. Should I get a luke warm water bath to pull up the temp and wrap it up in a blanket tonight? The weather is turning around tomorrow and it should stay warm enough from now on. I heard about gently shaking or rotating to get the yeast kicked up and active again, would this be a bad idea? I'm guessing re-pitching is premature at this point? I have the stuff for yeast starters now, so that could be an option if it sounds like a good idea.

The Pol

Reaction score
I would warm it and spin it... that will rouse the yeast without whipping up a froth. Id say the extract was not mixed completely when you took the OG sample, happens all the time, no worries.

impulserush

Reaction score
I did an IPA similar to yours. My FG got stuck at 1.020 after 8 day. I racked it to a secondary and it starting fermenting again. I also warmed it up a bit and my FG was 1.014. Just where the recipe should be. I left it in seconary for 14 days.

OP
Surye

Surye

Reaction score
Hydrometer tested fine in water. I racked it to secondary, over my dryhops last Sunday. It was still 1.028, and I just thought about it, and I shouldn't have dryhopped it right off the bat, since it may need a few weeks in secondary to get some more points down on the gravity.

Should I rack it off the hops this Saturday, and do a tertiary fermentation, or would there not be enough yeast left to get the FG down some more after another racking? I just don't want it getting too grassy from sitting on the hops for too long.

I don't mind getting some more yeast to repitch to the tertiary if it will allow me to get it a little more dry, and closer to my FG target, but I don't want to ruin it, I think it's really close to being really good!

EDIT: Or maybe add some yeast nutrition to the tertiary?