Possible Haze in commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Ok, so my friend picked up 2 cases of Weihenstephaner (original and the Weiss), which we split. (Distributor is far away). I really like the flavor, but was wondering (he noticed this as well) why there is a slight haze in the original lager. Could this be a chill haze? I had to keep it in the car (it was pretty cold out yesterday, below 32 F) until I went home. I didn't let any warm up to see if it disappeared. I didn't notice any off flavors, but without having their beer before I don't really know what it is supposed to taste like. Do you guys know if this is a chill haze or some other effect of older beer? Did I inadvertently affect the beer by subjecting it to very cold temps?

I wish it were the case. Both my friend and I (seperately without communication) noticed this. It was like slightly hazy, almost imperceptable, but when you held a glass to the light you could see it. He has a bottle of the lager that came in a special pack (with a glass and the rest of their line-up) which had no haze, which was basically at room temperature.

I guess I should add that I brought it home cold, and sampled the lager cold. Anyhow, it is very good. Slightly hoppier and a little more to it than Warsteiner (which is probably the closest thing I have had to date). It was fun to compare the Weiss to the Stoudt's Weiss.

Warsteiner, like Bitburger is too bitter for my tastes also.

We had a couple of friends in Germany, one was a beer salesman for Warsteiner and the other for Hasseroder. Both good beers, but my favorite is Weizen.

How cold was this alleged beer? :D :confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
How cold was this alleged beer? :D :confused:

Now that is indeed the question. My friend had it in the trunk of his car, and the ambient was below freezing so I am guessing a little bit above that. It is mostly a curiousity. It tastes fine imo, but what we are concerned about is for future purchases (if he goes there again) being old. The place is one of two in the entire state of PA that carry it (at least officially as distributors from the company) so, we really don't have that much of an option for getting it. (The other carrier is in the northeast part of the state as I recall). My friend says that some of the stuff the guy has he is certain is not moving! Golly, I hate that. They would be better off just not selling it if they can't move it. My friend said that with the case of the Weihenstephaner that it was out in the middle and looked like it was moving though. A local distributor basically drops the price dramatically on anything that goes over the 'best if used by' date. That is how I got the Stoudt's wheat for $15. Plus they said if it was bad to return it. I wish they carried Weihenstephaner. :D

Back