Possible dead freezer-Reusing collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
So I finally finished my kezzer build late last year. (I modeled it after GrainToGlass's build and posted mine in his build thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=515869&page=3 ).

We recently moved across the county and used a moving service. The keezer seemed to arrive undamaged, but last week I fired it up to use as a ferm chamber until I could get enough beer brewed to use it as keezer again, and I noticed it wasn't getting as cool as I had set the STC-1000 to. So I emptied the freezer, bypassed the temp controller and just let the freezer run. After 24 hours its only 57* inside. I can hear the compressor running nonstop. The freezer itself was bought brand new about 2.5 years ago.

I don't know if I should call a repair shop to see if they could get it running again? Or just assume its not worth fixing. I spent a lot of time and money on the build and really don't want to start from scratch. I assume unless I found the exact same freezer the dimensions probably won't allow me to just swap the collar over to the new one?

The keezer is prominently displayed in the house so if I do have to buy a new one, it would probably have to be a NEW one, unless I could get very Craigslist Lucky.

Anyone else pull off a collar swap? Thoughts on trying for a repair?

Thanks!

If the compressor is gone, or if you have a coolant leak, it's going to cost you more to fix it that to get a new one. You can always trim the collar or glue and screw modifications if you have to. Finding similar dimensions from one only 2.5 years old or finding the same model probably won't be as difficult as you think.

I assume unless I found the exact same freezer the dimensions probably won't allow me to just swap the collar over to the new one?

Anyone else pull off a collar swap? Thoughts on trying for a repair?

Thanks!

I don't have my keezer anymore, but my first one was made with I believe a Kenmore freezer when I lived in New Jersey. Fast forward about 6 or so years now living in North Carolina and it died. My neighbor in NJ helped me make the collar as he had wood working tools. I thought I was screwed but I went to the local Lowes building supply and bought another freezer with the EXACT same dimensions!! :ban:

I don't know what brand the new one was but I do know it was not the same as the original. They must all be made by the same company and just have different labels.

Back