Possible Campden Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrew

Reaction score
My last few batches I switched to using Campden tablets to dechlorinate my brewing water. I used the recommended treatment from "Home Brewer's Answer Book" of 1/2 oz tablet for 20 gallons. My beers all have this distinct off dominating flavor. Palmer recommends 1 tablet to treat 20 gallons. Campden tablets are typically only ~1/2 g. The difference between 1/2 oz and 1/2g is huge. Has anyone else used the treatment rate from HBAB and had success? For now I am brewing with bottled water until I get this straightened out. Please help.

1 ounce sounds like the size of a container of tablets. From what Wikpedia says a typical tablet is .44 grams.

I typically use one tablet (looks like an aspirin) crushed in about 15 gallons of water which is typical for a 11 gallon batch. If the book says 1/2 oz, I bet they meant to print 1/2 gram.

I was thinkin it was a misprint as well. I'll give half a tablet a try on my next 5 gallon batch. Thanks for the help.

pretty sure I used a half tablet once to dechlor all my mash and strike water (about 8 gallons total) and it gave no off flavor.

I know campden tabs aren't always at the same strength as powdered k-meta, but not to the degree you're seeing in that book. I took think its a mis-print and possibly fixed in newer editions.

Another thought on this. What would be a sign/symptom of chloramine or chlorine in your beer? Since I have been using Campden tablets my beer seems drier. I usually mash anwhere from 152-154 so I wouldn't think it would be my mash temps.

Medicinal qualities are the signs of chlorine or, more specifically, chlorophenols. Ever try the Chloraseptic for a sore throat? Imagine a hint of that flavor in beer.

1/2 Ounce is too much. 1 tablet or 1/2 a gram is more likely. IIRC, I use an 1/8th tsp of the powder (crushed tablets) per 14 gallons.

Back